What is wrong with my tank :( Please help

Thanks flower for that, it seems like most of my snails are hiding in the lower part of the tank behind my rocks, my shimps seem to be fine, and my crabs seem to be dying, i can only see two of them.
nova- i don't have a glass lid on the tank, it is open.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509002
Thanks flower for that, it seems like most of my snails are hiding in the lower part of the tank behind my rocks, my shimps seem to be fine, and my crabs seem to be dying, i can only see two of them.
nova- i don't have a glass lid on the tank, it is open.
You don't really know about your CUC unless you have moonlights...they hide and come out at night. If the hermits are dead...Do you have larger shells for your hermits? They outgrow the shell and need to go to a bigger one (often killing snails for them), if they can't switch, they die, and if they are already too large by the time they find a shell to move to, they can't get out of the one too small because their butt is too big.

there's lots of shells in there for them. there's just something going on with the tank that i can't figure out. Everything seems to be hiding. I did another water change last night. I'm gonna see how things are today once the lights turn on. I really hope things get better. I tried to scrub one of the rocks yesterday, and that red/purplish turf stuff, doesn't want to come off easy. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush. But i couldn't get it all off. There seems to be a lot of debri on the top of my rocks, Like if i use a turkey baster, i can blast a lot of stuff off the rocks. On every water change, i blast the stuff off the rocks, and try to suck up as much as i can with the syphon.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509102
there's lots of shells in there for them. there's just something going on with the tank that i can't figure out. Everything seems to be hiding. I did another water change last night. I'm gonna see how things are today once the lights turn on. I really hope things get better. I tried to scrub one of the rocks yesterday, and that red/purplish turf stuff, doesn't want to come off easy. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush. But i couldn't get it all off. There seems to be a lot of debri on the top of my rocks, Like if i use a turkey baster, i can blast a lot of stuff off the rocks. On every water change, i blast the stuff off the rocks, and try to suck up as much as i can with the syphon.
LOL...Hard crusty algae sounds like a type of algae that is called coraline, and it is very desirable because it adds color to the tank. It would also mean you have the calcium balanced right...good job if that's the case! look it up and see if that is what you have. A turkey baster will indeed clear off your rocks, a power head aimed to flow over the rock should keep them clear except for deep in the crevices.
As for things hiding...have you checked for stray voltage? One of those little testers would tell you is a power head or something like the heater is shorting out and sending electricity into the water. We will have to keep checking down a list until we get to what the problem is.....That means we just throw out ideas on what it could be until we hit on the reason, so checking for stray voltage is it all I can think of right now, I'm sure others will chime in with ideas for you to check. Is only the inverts hiding or the fish as well?
Shrimp are you canary for the fish tank because they are so sensitive, if something bad is wrong with water quality, they usually die first.

Umm, it's not the coraline that i'm talking about, that looks beautiful and is going strong because i have the perfect alkalinity and calcium. But the stuff i'm talking about, is like a short hair carpet. As for stray voltage, how exactly do i test that? i'm not sure what tester to use.
My two blood shrimp seem to be fine. And my two clowns and manderin goby don't hide. They seem fine. The only thing weird, is the two fish dying, the coral not opening up, and my snails are hiding. Very weird,

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509107
Umm, it's not the coraline that i'm talking about, that looks beautiful and is going strong because i have the perfect alkalinity and calcium. But the stuff i'm talking about, is like a short hair carpet. As for stray voltage, how exactly do i test that? i'm not sure what tester to use.
My two blood shrimp seem to be fine. And my two clowns and manderin goby don't hide. They seem fine. The only thing weird, is the two fish dying, the coral not opening up, and my snails are hiding. Very weird,
Can you get a picture of the algae on the rock?....Does it get long or stay very short close to the rock? I have never actually done it myself, I think folks use (CORRECT ME ANYONE IF I'M WRONG) get a regular little electric tester from a hardware store .. put the two prongs in the water and see if you can read any voltage. Please ask around and double check before you go purchase such a thing. Putting your hands in the tank is not a good smart way to check, you don't want to get shocked.
I had a heater burst years ago, and electricuted my entire tank, I lost about $1500.00 in corals and all the inverts as well as all the little critters that lived in the sand and rock, but no fish loss. I have read of other issues with stray voltage so I always suggest checking it out for that. I hate tank mysteries, it's so frustrating trying to figure out what's killing the EXPENSIVE critters.

I will take some pictures in about an hr or so, all my lights will be on in 10 mins, i'm gonna give everything a chance to open open as much as they can, and i'll show some pictures, i'll even try and put up a vid. I've done some tests again today, and everything seems great, the alk and mag was a lil low, so i added some. As for a meter to test voltage, i have one of those, i thought it was maybe a special one for aquariums. I'll wait and let others give some input on that. As for putting my hands in the tank, i did that yesterday to remove a rock and move a coral. I didn't get any shock or anything. I'll have some pictures and a vid soon.
Thanks for the replies, i appreciate the help

oh wow, just tried to upload the video to youtube, and it's saying that it's gonna take 200 minutes to upload. Thanks crazy. i can't seem to upload it on photobucket.

Wow, this is getting crazy, i'm struggling to upload the video, so now i'm just gonna upload pictures. I need a better cam though, the pictures suck. The video looked a lot better. First pic is the tank "sorry for all the blue, it doesn't look so blue in person. Second pic, is the green algae at the bottom of a rock, and the third pic, is the red/purple turf and hair algae.

flower

I would add a phosphate reactor, even though you get a 0 reading on phosphates, it's only because the algae is feeding on it. I think that's the reason corals would be closed up... Also if you feed the tank: coral doesn't feed when it's closed, the nutrients such as the coral food (example: phytoplankton) that you feed the tank would also feed the algae.

I actually don't spot feed the corals, I just feed the tank, and the corals usually pick up the stuff floating around. I was told that the corals I have don't really need to be spot fed, I understand that it helps with growth, but the coral was doing perfectly fine for a while. Does the phosphate reactor help remove the algae too, or will it just keep the phosphates low in the water. I believe I looked into it before, but since I don't have a sump, there was no room for the reactor.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509189
I actually don't spot feed the corals, I just feed the tank, and the corals usually pick up the stuff floating around. I was told that the corals I have don't really need to be spot fed, I understand that it helps with growth, but the coral was doing perfectly fine for a while. Does the phosphate reactor help remove the algae too, or will it just keep the phosphates low in the water. I believe I looked into it before, but since I don't have a sump, there was no room for the reactor.
A HOB skimmer will remove the extra organics the corals are not feeding on and reduce the algaes food for them. A reactor will hang on the outside of your display on the side or the back, or create a hanger for it that will attach to the side or back with a coat hanger or zip ties...it is two tubes, one input, the other output...so you can make the hoses as long as you need them.
If you have filter feeding coral that removes it's food from the water, spot feeding is a waste of the food, and the coral won't grow any faster because through the daylight when they are open is when they absorb their food. Such corals take a while to feed, and the food that floats away floats right to the algae to feed on, most likely that's why the algae is so healthy...because it will help the algae grow faster.

ah ok, so a phosphate reactor works just like a protein skimmer? not saying that the reactor just skims the top, i understand that's what a skimmer does, but the setup is sort of the same??
thanks. What brand of reactor would you recommend? my tank is a 46g bowfront.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509198
ah ok, so a phosphate reactor works just like a protein skimmer? not saying that the reactor just skims the top, i understand that's what a skimmer does, but the setup is sort of the same??
thanks. What brand of reactor would you recommend? my tank is a 46g bowfront.
It does not work just like a skimmer, they do different things...the combination of the two should help you. A gizmo called "Two little fishies" phosphate reactor...it's sold all over, and you have to purchase GFO to load in it. Bulk reef supply
also carries a good one. I have purchased both of those brands, and they are very good. You have to get a small pump ... When you attach the input hose there is a dial and you need to turn it down to the point that the GFO kind of hardly moves in the chamber...it will look kind of like ants digging. To work, the water flow must be slow enough to saturate the GFO before it is returned to the tank.

Thanks for the reply, i'll have to look into it. I don't even know if i have the room for that setup. My stand is useless and it's a bowfront in a corner. I really need to make a new stand. I took a look at my tank this morning, and the long tentical plate coral, is very open this morning. I wonder if he'll stay open when the lights come on. He looks super healthy right now. But yesterday when the lights were on, he was all shriveled up. I played around with my pumps again, and it seems like i have more movement in the water. I think that might be my issue. I just can't figure out exactly where to place the pumps. I've done research and a lot of people use a korilia 750 and a smaller one in the same tank as me. I have two 750s and a hang on back filter for a 110g tank. I'm pretty sure i should be overkill with this setup. But it seems like i could possible throw in another small pump somewhere. I'm trying to get the guy from the local reef store to come here, but it's hard, he says he's busy all the time. I've even offered cash.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509298
Thanks for the reply, i'll have to look into it. I don't even know if i have the room for that setup. My stand is useless and it's a bowfront in a corner. I really need to make a new stand. I took a look at my tank this morning, and the long tentical plate coral, is very open this morning. I wonder if he'll stay open when the lights come on. He looks super healthy right now. But yesterday when the lights were on, he was all shriveled up. I played around with my pumps again, and it seems like i have more movement in the water. I think that might be my issue. I just can't figure out exactly where to place the pumps. I've done research and a lot of people use a korilia 750 and a smaller one in the same tank as me. I have two 750s and a hang on back filter for a 110g tank. I'm pretty sure i should be overkill with this setup. But it seems like i could possible throw in another small pump somewhere. I'm trying to get the guy from the local reef store to come here, but it's hard, he says he's busy all the time. I've even offered cash.
Get yourself a wooden or plastic stick, even a rigid tube...attach a 4 inch long, plastic narrow piece of ribbon to one end. Now place your ribbon in different areas of the tank, the ribbon will follow the flow. If you find a dead spot adjust the power head...do that until all areas have flow, some areas will have weaker flow and some stronger...that's okay because some corals don't like hard pounding, but others really like a strong flow. Doing the ribbon test (as I call it) will help you make sure there are no dead spots where cyano will collect, and it will help you place the corals in the best spot for their needs.
Bow tanks are a pain in the butt to find just the right place for PHs...that method should help. The ribbon is easy to find at Walmart or steal a piece off of a kids bike handle (they won't miss it) I took a strand from the grandkids bike.

Thanks a lot for that tip, that makes a lot of sense, but the thing is, i don't know how much flow i need in certain areas, and i find it a lil difficult, cause you'll set up one pump perfectly, and as soon as you play with the other, everything changes. I really need someone that knows what they're doing here

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/20#post_3509302
Thanks a lot for that tip, that makes a lot of sense, but the thing is, i don't know how much flow i need in certain areas, and i find it a lil difficult, cause you'll set up one pump perfectly, and as soon as you play with the other, everything changes. I really need someone that knows what they're doing here
Sweetie, as long as there is flow you are good to go. Know your corals. A mushroom doesn't like strong flow, or much light. Most of the corals with delicate tissue like a Fox coral (LPS) needs medium flow...the chili, leather corals and sponges like the really strong flow ...so instead of adjusting the power head, adjust the corals.
or
Once you find a happy place for the power head...do not move it...get another PH, and set it where it does you the most good, and when you get it set...keep it there, and if you find some small impossible area...get a little nano PH for just that spot. It won't do you any good for another person to do things for you, because you will never learn that way....If I can learn how to do things...anybody can do it....have a little faith in yourself.