What is wrong with my tank :( Please help

Thanks, i'm not saying to have someone come and do everything for me. Just someone to physically look at the tank, and give me advice.
I just took another look at my tank, the lights will be coming on in 13 mins, and it looks like the long tenticle plate coral knows that and is shriveled up again :( I'm clueless to what's happening here.

I just placed an order for new bulbs. i changed it up a bit, instead of going with the kz gen, i went with the ati 12000k aquablue special. The tank should be less blue i believe. I also ordered a koralia nano 240gph powerhead and a octopus titanium grounding probe. I hope this helps

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/40#post_3509312
Thanks, i'm not saying to have someone come and do everything for me. Just someone to physically look at the tank, and give me advice.
I just took another look at my tank, the lights will be coming on in 13 mins, and it looks like the long tenticle plate coral knows that and is shriveled up again :( I'm clueless to what's happening here.
Corals open wide to feed, and once they are satisfied they draw up and close. They also close at night (or day) depending on their awake schedule. They close when you do water changes or when they think danger is near, like a fish or snail going over it. They close when the are unhappy too, like when they are first shipped or water quality goes down hill. Corals are living organisms, they do stuff...as long as it was open and feeding, it's fine. I always figured that as long as the coral opens once in a 24 hour period, there isn't anything to worry about.

weird, no sure why i didn't get a notice in my mailbox that someone replied. As for the corals opening at night, they do sometimes, i sometimes see their tenticals come out to eat. They're not dead, but they're definitely not happy, could it maybe be from my lights being no more good? i should have my new lights sometime this week. The guy called me and said that they didnt have any more ati blue plus, so he upgraded them to the kz super blues. I can't wait to get the new lights. I'm guessing i'm gonna have to raise my lights at first and slowly lower them down, maybe even change the timers for the lights?
Thanks for all the replies, i appreciate the help a lot.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakizx636 http:///t/394240/what-is-wrong-with-my-tank-please-help/40#post_3509694
weird, no sure why i didn't get a notice in my mailbox that someone replied. As for the corals opening at night, they do sometimes, i sometimes see their tenticals come out to eat. They're not dead, but they're definitely not happy, could it maybe be from my lights being no more good? i should have my new lights sometime this week. The guy called me and said that they didnt have any more ati blue plus, so he upgraded them to the kz super blues. I can't wait to get the new lights. I'm guessing i'm gonna have to raise my lights at first and slowly lower them down, maybe even change the timers for the lights?
Thanks for all the replies, i appreciate the help a lot.
Hi,
True actinic lights are different then just blue lights...if the LFS say they don't have actinic go elsewhere or order from on-line.. Yes photosynthetic corals are affected by old lighting...the par changes or something technical like that.
Blue in the tank looks cool but doesn't do anything for your coral. Just make sure you need 2 pin or 4 pin connectors if you order on-line.

Are you saying that the kz super blues aren't good like the ati blue plus? I didn't order these from my local store. I ordered them online, same place I ordered for before. The guy told me that the kz bulbs are better and that they have great par. I went less blue I think this time since I went with the 12000k blue special, supposedly it's very white with a hint of blue.

novahobbies

The KZ bulbs are actinic, but they peak at 460nm instead of 420nm. Photosynthetic corals need blue light in the range between 400-480nm for optimum blue chlorophyll absorption, so you ought to be OK. Korallen Zucht supposedly makes a pretty good product, but I've never used them personally.

Sweet, thank you. That's what he told me, said they're great bulbs, more expensive than the ati, but he sold me them for the same price cause he had no ati bulbs

Please, i need help asap, my tank seems to be getting wayyyy worse now, some of my coral is practically dead i think, do you guys think i should just remove it out of the tank? I have a lot of green hair algae on the sandbed . I have changed the lighting and added a korilia 250. Here's a few pictures

flower

Hi,
What are your test result numbers?
I have used some stuff called Phosban, just google it. Also you could do small water changes everyday (use RO water only for your salt-mix (no tap water), until you can get a handle on things. Hair algae feeds on nitrates and phosphates, those tests will read negative because the algae is feeding on it. Hair algae will cover and suffocate coral.
Just my opinion.....I wouldn't toss out a coral, they can bounce back, not to mention the skeleton has good nooks and crannies for tiny critters, just like the live rock. Unless the flesh of the coral is rotten and releasing it's dead slime, it won't hurt the tank.