what is your worst aquarium disaster?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by ophiura
Well it was not "mine" per se, but mine to care for....
Bye bye sump.
what exactly happened

A

alix

Originally Posted by ophiura
Roughly 1200 gallons or so....
wow! how big was the tank???

ophiura

Just one day, bam! It failed. It was only a year old, but not a particularly good manufacturer ultimately. There were several tanks on that system - a piranha tank, electric eel, and large South American "river" tank with arrawana and such. I can't remember now the overall gallons on it total.

A

alix

what happened to the animals? i dont really know much (anything) about sumps, but sicne its under the tank, im guessing the water drains. did they die?

ophiura

In this sort of set up, which is at a public aquarium, the sump is remote from the tanks. In fact, one was rather far away. So the water did not drain from the tanks, but we had no circulation. We had to plumb in canister filters, "garbage can" filters and pumps until it could be repaired.

toughguy80

Years ago I came home drunk off my butt at about 3am to find my tank had crashed. Apparently the power had been out and on top of that the tank was only 2 months established. Was real interesting trying to catch the surviving fish in that drunken state.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by toughguy80
Years ago I came home drunk off my butt at about 3am to find my tank had crashed. Apparently the power had been out and on top of that the tank was only 2 months established. Was real interesting trying to catch the surviving fish in that drunken state.
:hilarious now that would have been funny on video

autofreak44

steve west's tank crash would own all of these crashes combine... anyone have new news about how the tank is recovering?