What is your worst experience at your LFS?

king_neptune

Getting chewed out by the owners son when I tried to come back with some lava rock that he sold me, after I found out that red lava rock is terrible for leaching iron into your system.
I thought i had a good way to ask for a refund:
All I did was come to him humbly asking for an exchange for a different kind of base rock. I opened with
"I'm not hear to make a big stink, I want to find a peaceful solution so I can preserve my customer relationship with you."
His reply:
"First of all , you don't come into my store telling me you want to find a peaceful solution to this. Its your problem. Nobody forced you to buy that lava rock, so whatever your little forum buddies cried to you about, don't come bringing it to me"
He did his little punk, thug routine and gangsta slang talk on me in front of half dozen paying customers, scolding me. And not once or twice, he repeated it on and on. I kept my mouth shut because I wanted my $30 bucks back. But I never set foot in there again. I had been warned about that place burning people, but After his "Ill always be the first person to tell you up front if something is a bad idea" speech a few months prior.
I thought I found a good place. I was wrong, and have since then, met a half dozen local reefers with similar stories.
Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood Wa. Large store, inflated prices, good stock. Father son business, but the sons don't know how to treat customers. None of them. Half the time they see you coming, and they look the other way, or pretend to be too busy with something else. I don't need them, and they don't need me. I found much much better stores in the area.

lietz06

Well after I set my 55 up last year I went to a saltwater store in El Paso. I was still pretty new to the hobby but knew the basics. I went in there told the woman I had a 55 and told her my livestock and asked her to show me some fish that would work out good for my particular tank and tank crew. Guess what I ended up walking out with....a spotted sweetlips. So i get home and look up the fish...it's an 'expert only' fish and they need a tank of @ least 150 gallons! They are pretty hard to keep in captivity. I was soo mad...the poor fish only lasted bout 2 days in our tank. That's prolly the worst that has happened to me.

markw

Walking in there and seeing a dogface puffer, 2 moorish idols, a blue hippo tang, a yellow tang, and a sailfin with a school of 5 chromis and 2 hosting clownfish in a 75-90g tank. With minimal live rock and about .5" ls.
Mark

jackri

Just looking at their tanks should tell you whether you can trust them or not. We finally got a descent one in town with a knowledgeable person managing it.
Fish food is a bit higher than "pet in the box" but hey -- it's worth it.
As far as bad stories -- nothing tooooo terrible.... other than they don't have a clue what they are talking about or try and give you advice for something they haven't cured in their own tanks.

mantisman51

I had a tiny SW lfs here in Sierra Vista (went back to FW only) and the folks there are all reefers (and very angry the Tucson owner quit SW). They are big on build it first-then stock. Also, they have alot of experience in which fish do best in which tank. No horror stories. The prices are scary, but they know their stuff.

runn3rb3an

No matter how many thousands of dollars I spend at my lfs and no matter how many times I go there a week, the two owners of my lfs refuse to say hi to me when I walk in the door. If I wave or yell so other people even look, they ignore me and give me the cold sholder if I need help... The only problem is I need to keep going back because their the cheapest I have ever seen, they have cheaper then online prices.. Without the shipping

flower

I needed saltwater to do a water changes, I also needed fresh RO for top offs. I was going to the LFS with my 9, 5g and 2, 3g jugs. I know it was a hassle but my water was so bad. For premixed saltwater I was paying $1.50 per gallon. That’s $7.50 a jug. For Fresh RO I was paying $1.00 per gallon. Wal-mart is cheaper for RO water and I can mix my own…but these guys would fill the jugs and load them into my van, and at Wal-mart it takes forever and folks wonder by like vultures waiting to fill their jugs..So I went there.
I was buying 48 gallons of water each time. That’s $72.00 for premixed saltwater and $48.00 for RO. I had done this about 4Xs over a few months…Then one evening at around 7:00 PM I headed to the LFS with my jugs…I was regular customer there. I bought my fish food, my Parrot food, and all meds and dog toys from this place. I spend a small fortune on my critters.
Anyway this particular evening , I show up with my jugs and let them know I was there. The manager said he was busy and to just leave my jugs by the utility door, that he would be right there. I have to leave to go to work at 9:00 PM, the store closes at 9:00Pm as well, and it was only 7:00PM at that time..
I kept hanging around the door, and would walk over and stand there by the manager, he kept taking care of other customers…chatting about a rabbit for over an hour. Then while I stood there another customer comes up and starts asking questions about dog food….He looks at me and says he will be right there…Finally another employee takes me to the back so I can fill the jugs myself.
5 till 9:00 he FINALLY comes into the back since I am there now..., and asks me how many jugs for salt and how many is to be RO…I say all are for regular RO…He says to me…If I had known you only wanted RO I would have taken care of you hours ago, I just hate messing with salt….I was livid but held my tongue.
Then he fills the jugs to the line at the top instead of up to the neck of the jug…and he points to the line and says to me that is the 5g mark. I told him when I bought the jugs new and filled that it was up to the neck of the jug. He ignored me and just filled them his way. So I remind him I am a regular customer…I am talking about a few extra ounces…no effect.
The store closed and I was almost late for work because it takes a bit to fill that many jugs. He ignored me on purpose because he didn’t like messing with salt…and he is a manager.

I figure they don’t want my business…so from then on I went to Wal-mart. Eventually I purchased my own RO unit …what a jerk, if doesn't like his job, he should quit.

halamaya

not really a horror story but here in Burlington there is only one lfs left that has salt water. Good thing they are locally owned and run by good people that have been there for years and years.

jmoore1197

Well I have 3 lfs. I'm kinda new to the hobby (8 months). So when I first started I knew absolutely nothing. As Im sure many of u can appreciate. Let me first say that the people I. Here r great and there is no such thing as a dumb question. That said; I go to all the local fish stores to ask the best way to get started in this hobby and they all got all snobby. It was like they were better than me because they had the knowledge and I didn't. I mean I would ask what equipment I needed and one guy got completely over my head on purpose. Well. U Ned the abc9000 for this and the xyz3000 for that. And this and that. One store was so crazy my wife finally stopped the guy and said hey r u gonna help us or not. U spitting out all this stuff so u can impress that girl over there isn't doing us any good. We need to k ow the basics Just give us an idea where to start. After visiting each store my wife and I were like " damn r all saltwater fish people like this". We did find 2 people will ing to help us at 2 diff stores and they r great. Now if they rnt working we don't go.
And the people being snobs- all were the owners! Go figure

flower

Another horror story...
When I first got into corals I went to the LFS in Janesville, next town up from mine...they had star fish and I asked point blank "is this reef safe?", and the guy said “absolutely”...so I brought home my new Chocolate chip star fish....which began to feed on coral the moment it hit the tank.

I lost 2 coral before getting it out of there and returning it. The manager was very apologetic but did not offer it replace the coral it had eaten. I purchased a fish and another invert book that explains what gets along with what, and what is or isn't, reef safe. I trust no LFS after that.

blackjacktang

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/3124553
Well after I set my 55 up last year I went to a saltwater store in El Paso. I was still pretty new to the hobby but knew the basics. I went in there told the woman I had a 55 and told her my livestock and asked her to show me some fish that would work out good for my particular tank and tank crew. Guess what I ended up walking out with....a spotted sweetlips. So i get home and look up the fish...it's an 'expert only' fish and they need a tank of @ least 150 gallons! They are pretty hard to keep in captivity. I was soo mad...the poor fish only lasted bout 2 days in our tank. That's prolly the worst that has happened to me.

Originally Posted by Flower

http:///forum/post/3124829

Another horror story...
When I first got into corals I went to the LFS in Janesville, next town up from mine...they had star fish and I asked point blank "is this reef safe?", and the guy said “absolutely”...so I brought home my new Chocolate chip star fish....which began to feed on coral the moment it hit the tank.

I lost 2 coral before getting it out of there and returning it. The manager was very apologetic but did not offer it replace the coral it had eaten. I purchased a fish and another invert book that explains what gets along with what, and what is or isn't, reef safe. I trust no LFS after that.
What i do is research before going to the LFS. One time they sold me a cc star only to find out it was eating my Mushroom colony. I had to gove it to ***** because they where the only people who would acually take him off my hands. Thankfuly, a couple minuts later, someone else bought him so he would not die of bad water qualitly in there horrid tanks.

flower

Originally Posted by Blackjacktang
http:///forum/post/3124835
What i do is research before going to the LFS. One time they sold me a cc star only to find out it was eating my Mushroom colony. I had to gove it to ***** because they where the only people who would acually take him off my hands. Thankfuly, a couple minuts later, someone else bought him so he would not die of bad water qualitly in there horrid tanks.
AHHH yes the voice of experience...I now do the same...I also have the books that explain in detail what they eat, how big they get, what size tank is best, what they get along with, and the all important question...is it reef safe?
I no longer trust any LFS...I do my own research...the only question I ask is do you have it, or can you order it for me? Be that medicines, to buffers, to fish.

blackjacktang

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3124843
AHHH yes the voice of experience...I now do the same...I also have the books that explain in detail what they eat, how big they get, what size tank is best, what they get along with, and the all important question...is it reef safe?
I no longer trust any LFS...I do my own research...the only question I ask is do you have it, or can you order it for me? Be that medicines, to buffers, to fish.
+1

small triggers

I dont really have a HORROR story of MY lfs, but i went to the other one taht was in town,(past tense he went out of business, not because there wasnt enough people wanting stuff, but because he was a horrible owner/maintenance person), and he was retarded,, i mean my husband and i were the only people to walk in the store and the owner was the only one there,, not a hi or anything, we walked around the store looking at everything even trying to ask questions about the fish (as he had most of them mislabeled) and he totally ignored us.... like looked up at us when we asked a question and just stared for a second and didnt answer us. Needless to say, we never went there again, and i only shop the the same LFS i have now for 3 years.
Before i ever got into the hobby, Eric the owner where i go broke it down for me, cheap system, medium grade system, expensive system and gave me a list of books to buy before i chose what i wanted to do.

thai

I was at my lfs i spotted a dwarf lion fish that was 29.99 so i politely ask the owner if i could it for $25 cash because thats all i had on me and plus there will be no transaction fee for her. Her replied was " are you kidding that fish is only 29.99 i could see if it was a 50 dollars fish" she was laughing under her throat while she was replying. I just walk out and didn't say bye or thanks do to her rudeness. I also buy fish product from her almost every weekend but now never again....

kronos5

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3123552
Getting chewed out by the owners son when I tried to come back with some lava rock that he sold me, after I found out that red lava rock is terrible for leaching iron into your system.
I thought i had a good way to ask for a refund:
All I did was come to him humbly asking for an exchange for a different kind of base rock. I opened with
"I'm not hear to make a big stink, I want to find a peaceful solution so I can preserve my customer relationship with you."
His reply:
"First of all , you don't come into my store telling me you want to find a peaceful solution to this. Its your problem. Nobody forced you to buy that lava rock, so whatever your little forum buddies cried to you about, don't come bringing it to me"
He did his little punk, thug routine and gangsta slang talk on me in front of half dozen paying customers, scolding me. And not once or twice, he repeated it on and on. I kept my mouth shut because I wanted my $30 bucks back. But I never set foot in there again. I had been warned about that place burning people, but After his "Ill always be the first person to tell you up front if something is a bad idea" speech a few months prior.
I thought I found a good place. I was wrong, and have since then, met a half dozen local reefers with similar stories.
Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood Wa. Large store, inflated prices, good stock. Father son business, but the sons don't know how to treat customers. None of them. Half the time they see you coming, and they look the other way, or pretend to be too busy with something else. I don't need them, and they don't need me. I found much much better stores in the area.
What a bunch of idiots. I had a similiar story about when I was new to the hobby and was sold slate/rock .However when I brought it back to the store, the owner yelled at the salesman for not finding out what kind of tank I had before selling me the rock. That's a store.

gio28

i dont have a horror story really...my LFS is pretty honest and helpful but they do try to make a sale sometimes. one guy said that a purple tang would be perfect for my 36 gallon and he asked if i wanted to order one. he said it was a peaceful fish that would be perfect. i go online and find out that they need way bigger tanks and are already aggressive even in bigger tanks. besides that and the way overpriced items...they are an ok place.

bms

Buying R/O SALTWATER from my LFS and getting home and filling up my tank then aquascaping and realizing the next day that they gave me R/O Freshwater!! I gave the water jugs to the owner who gave it to his 16 yr old son who filled em up with freshwater! Not to mention i spilled probably 4 gallons in my car on the drive home..

roadie996

I don't have any real horror stories, but I feel that if someone doesn't at least come up and offer help (if they aren't already helping someone) within at least 5 minutes of you being there, then its not worth shopping there. Too many times have I been staring at tanks for 10, 20, 30 minutes and never had someone come up to offer help. I just leave and go to the tank next LFS or save my money for something else!