What jobs?

T

tuningvis

i have another year until getting my AA
and i really dont know what i wanna do for sure.. but time to make up my mind is getting shorter by the day....
i love photography and of course i love reefs... and saltwater fish
since starting my hobby of SWF ... i have thought of jobs where i would surroud myself in such an enviroment...
i was wondering if any of you know of job titles or careers that go hand in hand with this?
my dream of course would be to be able to dive into a reef everyday and photograph the sea.... but what are the job titles and majors.... that would support this?
what are some other related fields?
thanks
adam

malounsbury

You could become an aquarist if you know of any local aquariums or zoos that keep fish. Could always come to Baltimore and see if they need help at the National Aquarium.

loopy

Journalism with photography. Then go to work, even if you have to free lance for awhile and try to get in with National Geographic...they use freelancer's a lot. Also...there is the stedd aquarium in chicago, just to name one...if you want to study marine biology. You could start out working at an aquarium to see if you like the atmosphere etc, then go on to take classes. You could also, like my former brother in law, work for a cruise ship as a diving instructor...plenty of down time to dive yourself and photograph, then freelance your photo's. I found that after several years as a professional photographer, it took the joy out of something I once loved. Pick one interest and go professional with that, keep the other as a passion. Divers make good money, and are always needed, NASA even uses a lot of divers. (Heidi Piper who will go up in the next shuttle in 2006 was originally a diver for the navy and decided to apply to NASA as a long shot, now she's going to space, she spoke at my kids school. ) There are also tons of documentary's being made all the time about the oceans...so you could do that rather than still photography. (And a lot of class room material is made by these 'diver/live photographers...probably excellant way to make a good living. Do you dive already? It sounds like if you don't....you should. Good luck.

T

tuningvis

wow :eek:
i dont dive... i dont have much contact with the ocean as is... it's all
new to me.... i just dip my hands in soooo many things in my life and try and pull something out i might like to do for the rest of my life... this one hit the top 3 ..... and it is the most reasonable of the 3
:notsure:

T

tuningvis

i dont want my life to be working at a LFS... haha
it would be a nice start... but what kind of job titles ... go along with diving and photography?
:notsure:
*dont worry about the hijack just give a lil somethin to the thread ;) *

*bta*

Yea you could be a marine biologist thats studies coral reefs, that what i plan to be, though i read you need a masters and a phd, not sure if its true though

T

tuningvis

Originally posted by *BTA*
Yea you could be a marine biologist thats studies coral reefs, that what i plan to be, though i read you need a masters and a phd, not sure if its true though

that would suck.. i'm not very fond (sp) of school you might say :D

malounsbury

Originally posted by fishnerd
NAIB. Strange that you used "NAIB" Are you one of Pittenger's kids too?

I used to work there for a bit. I worked over in the IS dept for a bit.