What kind of algae is this?

aliciak

This is a deep burgandy colored algae...looks somewhere between slimy and corraline.
Any comments as to what it is and if I want it or not? I think it looks kinda neat and colorful, but I don't want it to be the dreaded red slime algae I've heard about.

reefnut

IMO it looks like Cyanobacteria... Red Slime
See if you can blow it off with a turkey baster... If it blows off easy it's most likely cyano.

birdy

yes definitely red slime, or cyanobacteria.
Are you using RO water?
Tell us what your water perameters are.
This stuff can be a PIA to get rid of. Here are a few suggestions:
increase circulation in tank, reduce photoperiod, water changes sucking as much of the stuff out as you can. Do a search on Red slime or cyanobacteria and you will find a ton of suggestions. There are some chemicals that work, but that would be an absolute last resort, try to fix the problem first.

wrassecal

I think cyano too. I may be looking at pic all wrong but is it only on that one rock? Is the rock small? I agree with above advice and would add if it is the one rock and it is small that you take it out, put it in a bowl with saltwater, use a new toothbrush and scrub the cyano off. Then put the rock back in the tank.

krishj39

It looks like cyanobacteria to me also. Assuming this is true, you don't want it in your tank. IME, the easiest way to rid yourself of it is to increase the circulation. Since it is actually a bacteria, it blows away if you get rid of the dead spots in your tank. My tank has been up for about 9 months and thankfully, I only have red slime in my refugium, where the water circulation is low. If your tank is relatively new, then this is a normal part of maturing your tank. Most don't avoid the stage where this "algae" causes them problems, and other than more circulation (if you are running low on that), the best solution is to wait it out if your tank is fairly new (less than 6 months).

tlk

I had a simliar problem a few month ago. I reduced the photperiod from 12 hours to 6 hours. I am gradually increasing the time. I also reduced feeding to every third day. Cyano has not come back yet.