what kind of angelfish in 36 gallon

gio28

i have a 36 gallon (that is becoming a reef) so i know angelfish are hit or miss...but id like to try it out. I had a few dwarfs i mind to choose from...flame, coral beauty, lemonpeel, or bi color. then also the swallowtail or lamarcks which i heard are the safest you could get for a reef..but they are bigger than dwarfs for a 36. What do u think is a good choice out of all of these in terms of beauty and color? or any other suggestions? thanks

auroradrvr

A Coral Beauty gets WAY WAY WAY too big for a 36 gallon.
A lemonpeel also gets too large. The Flame is borderline.
I'd recommend a Cherub Pygmy.

nicetry

Originally Posted by AuroraDrvr
http:///forum/post/3059924
IMO/IME, a coral beauty would be fine in a tank that size. It's a 4 inch fish
and while active, is not a frantic swimmer. I do agree however that the any of the angels from the argi complex are better suited to this tank. The cherub or flameback are gorgeous little fish with personality. They are also among the better bets for a reef tank.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by AuroraDrvr
http:///forum/post/3059924
a coral beauty gets no bigger than typical dwarfs (about 4"). Eibli's and bicolor (if they live) are a few of the larger species. ANY 4" fish period is at the limit of what should be placed in a 36g "community" tank but typical (4" max) dwarfs are a sound enough choice for riding the limit. I'd be way more worried about the coral nipping then the size.
I agree the cherub or flameback would be the best choices do to the small size but by the same token one of the worse choices for anti-social aggressive behavior. they dont do that well with timid reef fish in small quarters. they bully.

mr.clownfish

i have a pygmy angelfish in my 30gal. it has a bright yellow face and really nice bluish purplish mostly blue body. it is my favorite fish of all time. and they are tiny i think they get up to 2 or 3ins. mines like 2.5ins.
IMO i think that would be ur best choice.
i think they are called Cherub Pygmy.

zmydust

I don't read about many people having them, but I'm keeping a Singapore angel in my 35g with no issue. It's beautiful, loves to hide in his cave, and spends slot of timeout grazing on the lr. If he gets startled, he darts back to the cave.. He's fast. He never bother the coral.
This is the only one I've ever owned, but seems very hardy.
Why isn't the Singapore angel more popular, anybody?

crypt keeper

they suck at getting acclimated. I had one. I consider myself pretty good at acclimating fish. Not an expert just better than most. They all take a little luck and tons of patiance. They either hide all the time or eat right away. Plus they get big like 6 inches. Everuybody said my bicolor wouldnt make it. Its month 2
The Cherub is probably the most aggressive pygmy out there.
Coral Beauty or Flame angel. They all have a chance of being nippers. Keep them well fed and watch them and enjoy your new fish.

aquaknight

Singapore angels are neck and neck with Indo Harlequin Tusks for fish mostly likely to feel the effects from cyanide collection and eventually die. Think about it, how in the world can a large angel possibly get as cheap as a Singapore? LFS's routinely have Singapores in my area for $9.99. That's nuts. There is no way they can afford to price a 'safe-collected' fish for that price, especially when you factor in shipping costs.
Not saying there aren't good Singapores out there, there are. Just like occasionally there are good Indo Tusks, but those are rare.
However being a large angel, a 35gal will eventually be too small. And after watching Kirk's (KJR Trig) brute of a Coral Beauty, I would say a 36gal is going to be too small. A flameback would be the perfect fish. Almost as small as a Cherub, but far less aggressive.
KJR's vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLx_NkppQis

gio28

thanks for all ur guy's responses to my question...i came down to the lemonpeel because i want a variety of color in my tank and have a clownfish, 3 blue/green chromis...and i ordered a flame hawkfish to arrive soon. so if my bioload will take adding the lemonpeel as my last fish i think i will do that to have a yellow fish in my tank. is the lemopeel a good fish for a 36...what are your opinions on this

auroradrvr

Lemonpeels still get far too big for a 36. I've seen 6" bruisers come into various shops around here. I personally would not feel comfortable putting them in anything smaller than a 75.
My $0.02

gio28

in that case i think ill go for the coral beauty or flame for an angelfish...or maybe a midas blenny..thanks

sepulatian

I would go for the CB or a cherub. They are not as aggressive as the flame can be with others. I have a cherub. He is very docile but can get pushy at times. No nipping but he will get into tail slapping fights with my hawk. My hawk takes no gup from anyone