what kind of cleaner crew do I need???

newreeferpa

i have a 36 gallon tank (received from my brother) that has been up and running for 4 years- fish and live rock. algae was a problem so i got a lawnmower blenny (he is working his magic)- they is only one hermit crab in there that i see. there is green grass like stuff that is starting to grow, and after reading some posts it would seem that this grass like stuff can become a problem. i have up graded the lights to MH- what kind of critters do i need in order to help keep the tank clean?? would like to get some corals and such, i do have an anemone.

ci11337

The most important thing is to keep your water in good shape. What kind of filter(s) are you running? A skimmer is a must. I also recommend running a phosphate remover and carbon. Having enough water movement to keep dust from settling on the LR helps to. Adding a type of non-invasive macro algae (cheato is a fav) to compete with other algae helps as well. Also, most importantly, regular (bi-weekly) waterchanges using RO water. as far as a cleaner crew. A variety of snails is best. Get some that eat detritus, (cerith, nassarius) and some that eat algae, (turbos, astrea) Hope that helps.

newreeferpa

i have a skimmer and there is a filter where the water leaves the tank as well as when it goes back in (how often do i need the clean these) all my water readings are in the recommended range. will get some snails

mr_x

i would clean the cannister filter weekly. every few months take the skimmer pump off and clean and inspect the needle wheel.
snails are fine, but excess nutrients are the reason for the algae. old bulbs can be a cause of some algae blooms as well. the bulbs eventually shift to a redder spectrum, the spectrum that plants utilize.
i'd have to agree with ci11337. clean water is the best habitat to control nuisance algae.

frankthetank

The above posts are good advice.
But to get to your question...
Try something like this:
10 cerith snails
10 nassarious snails
10 turbo/astrea snails
10 hermits (any variety... scarlets, blue legs, etc)
You can always look into things like shrimp, brittle stars, conch's & emeralds too. I would try to get about 1 clean up crew member per gallon. Sounds like they'll have plenty to feed off in you tank.
Inverts are rather delicate... so following the advice from the previous posters is important. RO/DI water, a good skimmer, water changes, stability. And I would recommend removing the filter (canister). LR and a skimmer is all the filter you need. If you did anything, adding a sump or refugium would be your best addition. You could buy a HOB refugium and grow some chaeto to help with nutrient export & pod growth.
Just some ideas... good luck!