What kind of corals dont need lighting?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by MX#28
Tube anemones are non-photosynthetic, hardy, and very cool. They aren't true corals (nor are they actaully anemones) but they are awesome reef tank inhabitants that come in many great colors.
Can they sting fish and other things and kill them?

peef

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
Very nice coral!
Thanks alot! I love it. Just got a 150w MH hood for my nano and not sure what to do with it now if it will just hide during the day or if I will have to tear apart my aquascape and make it a cave.

peef

Originally Posted by SkeletonCowboy
i have a black sun coral which seems to be pretty cool
Can you post a pic of the black...I am interested in these

dmitry

Also, though they're not corals - you can get away with calling them that to your friends: Feather Dusters and Cocoworms don't need lighting. But will need phyto and the like for feedings.
Also, as far as Sun corals, I saw a video on youtube of a guy feeding his sun coral. Do a search for it. It's fascinating and while the coral is beautiful I would not want to spend the time doing that all the time!

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Can they sting fish and other things and kill them?
yes

mfp1016

Yes there are! As mentioned, chili, sun, cauliflower, gorgonians, sponges. But if you look into them, they all require very specialized habitats that are just as costly and difficult to setup as is MH lighting (I assume you're trying to circumnavigate the cost of MH). But, most professional aquarists have neve been able to keep any of the above for a long time (sponges seem to be the exception). I'd recommend a small lighting upgrade and keeping low light corals, like mushrooms, tube anenomes, some zoas, sponge (good luck, unless they're packaged very carefully, poor handling almost always kills them). But with shrooms, tubes, zoas, and maybe an elephant's ear, you should be able to put together a somewhat colorful pseudo-reef. Also, add some interesting inverts, like coco worms, feather duster, some nudibranches can achieve a level of prosperity in a home aquarium (most people think they are not hardy as they usually die off in less than a year, however this is part of their very short life cycle).

kaybee

Originally Posted by peef
Can you post a pic of the black...I am interested in these
Here's a pic of my black sun corals (growing near and among my orange sun corals):

peef

Originally Posted by kaybee
Here's a pic of my black sun corals (growing near and among my orange sun corals):

Thats AWESOME I like the way they are growing together.

mx#28

Originally Posted by NEreef
yes

I think the odds are minimal. I've kept many tube anemones with all kinds of fish without any incident. My scooter blenny lands in one once in a while and it is always the tube anemone that is startled and closes up. If you are interested, here is good article to start with...
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/invert.htm

estein02

Originally Posted by peef
Ok well it was kind of a pain to figure that out soooo, here goes to help ease your headache.... Sorry to nab the thread also, but it all helps!!!
Unless you are already adding Iodine, Strongtium, and molybdenum, you will probably need to dose for the first week or so as you feed to get it used to feeding time. I made a little coral cocktail that is also GREAT for everything else in my tank. It is made of the following
1 capful of Iodine
1 Capful of Strongtium/molybdenum
1 capful of Reef solution
1 1/2 capful of Marine Snow
A little scoop of cytopleeze. You can tell how much to use by how much it covers your tank.
I would turn off filtration and add this with one powerhead running for circulation for like 10 minutes and WOA everything would go crazy eating. All my coral was sucking it up. I did this like maybe 10-15 minutes after I turned off daily light cycle and had moon lights on. About 20-30 minutes later the Sun would be out in full. I would have a mysis shrimp block (a small one mind you) thawing during all this previous time. I would use a little sucker (like a turkey baster but smaller, came with my calcium tester) to drizle the mysis onto each polyp, they would munch and then come out again for the rest of the night. I will do this every night for like 1 1/2 weeks and then every other night for 1 1/2 weeks. After the first week though don't dose with the iodine and S/M except only once a week or it will throw your levels off and start an algae bloom (iodine) If you have any other question hit me up!
Thanks Peef...isn't that a lot of iodine to add to the tank though?

peef

Originally Posted by estein02
Thanks Peef...isn't that a lot of iodine to add to the tank though?
Yes, I put 1 capful I ment 1/2 and only for first week do you do it everyday. After that just normal dosing. I am not even dosing at all now. I have had my SC for 1 1/2 months now and When I just do normal feedings it comes out.