what kind of crab is this?

oceanviews

He was a hitch-hiker in my 75, but now he has been exiled to my 29 for crimes against humanity... he picked up one of my small blue leg hermits, crushed it's shell like a Saltine cracker and ate the hermit and parts of the shell... his body is about the size of a quarter. He is hard to get pics of, this is the best I could do...If anybody can tell me what kind he is, I would appreciate it!!! Thanks!!:eek:

g13

Cool picture, actually kind of scary.......sorry, can't help in the Identification.

oceanviews

thanks!! here is another pic of him...I considered feeding him to my trigger for a moment, but I would never be able to bring myself to do it, he is kind of cool in a freakishly demonic/evil sort of way....

clarkiiboi

I have to bump this for ya. I have no info and never seen it before---but you got a good pic and will hopefully be ID'd soon--

the claw

Box crab
Will eat all of your snails, and hermits, and can eat clams and mussels.
My $0.02 for you. The good thing is that they are pretty, and very cool looking.

cprdnick

drive him to the beach and set him free. He'll thank you for it and I'm sure he'll think about you when he's cracking another hermits shell. LOL

oceanviews

Thanks guys!! He can't do much harm in the 29 he is in now, I have sort-of grown attached to little Beelzebub, and I am thinking of setting up something small just for him......If not, i will send him on a road trip with my buddy next time he goes surfing!
hey Claw - how big can he get??

hey we have a very aggressive decarator crap (actually he's my baby- hand feed him and his anemone's every day)in his own 10 gal nano..... i think he might want a little buddy to play with if you want to get rid of him :)
Fishy Wife

aarone

Originally posted by oceanviews
Thanks guys!! He can't do much harm in the 29 he is in now, I have sort-of grown attached to little Beelzebub, and I am thinking of setting up something small just for him......If not, i will send him on a road trip with my buddy next time he goes surfing!
hey Claw - how big can he get??

Ahh i love species tanks! ;)
aaron

shmeeb

I actually had that exact same hitchhiker. He killed my snowflake (little guy). Gave it a good gash right behind the head that it never recovered from, died about a week later despite my best efforts. Crab went out of my tank, into a full grown queen trigger's tank. I'm vengeful.

oceanviews

NO WAY!! I was ticked off about my hermit, but if that monster ever laid a claw on any of my little buddies, I would have sprinkled some Old Bay on that sucker myself and served him up with a Tall Boy.
:mad:

nicky1.8t

good thing it was only a hermit crab he killed cuz if it was my crab and he ate something of value i would have tossed his butt out in the middle of my street:mad: