What kind of goby is this?

sueandherzoo

The LFS called it a Blue-Spotted Goby but I don't see pix that look like him on any websites. I know yellow watchman have blue spots on their faces but this guy certainly is NOT yellow. Any idea what type of goby this is, and more importantly, if he's seahorse compatible?
Sue

culp

the LFS i go to normal has one or two of these goby's and they also call it a blue spotted goby.

sueandherzoo

Wow - that's a lot of gobies - I had no idea there were that many different species! I haven't found mine in the bunch yet but I'll keep going back and trying!
Sue

snakeblitz33

actually, your live fish store is partially correct. Usually, live fish stores label the name of the fish as to what it is on the bag or packing list. So, the wholesaler sales that item as a yellow goby, not a yellow shrimp goby.
C. name : Yellow shrimpgoby S.name : Cryptocentrus cinctus
Photo : Naohisa Arai Location : Okinawa,JAPAN

sueandherzoo

So a yellow goby doesn't have to be yellow?
Also, I have a tiger pistol shrimp in another tank than the one I put the goby in. Would it benefit one or both of them to be together or do they really care less about having a "partner"? I put this goby in what will soon be my seahorse tank ..... should I go snatch the shrimp from my other tank and let him join the horse tank, too? I know there's no guarantee they will even find each other but if they would both be happier with a partner it's worth the chance. However, the goby is probably twice the size of the shrimp -- maybe three times -- does it matter?
Sue

snakeblitz33

I would say it doesn't matter and they really don't care. I really don't know the behaviors of gobies that well. Anyone else know?

knockout

I think pairing the shrimp and the goby (if they do at all) is irrelevant to eithers benefit in a aquarium setting, in the wild they benefit from each others company but in a tank is just for our viewing pleasure as I would assume you are not adding shrimp preadators to your tank after paying big bucks for a tiny shrimp!

jeanheckle

I have a yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp in my 29 gallon tank. They definately stay side by side. I think do benefit from each others company,