What kind of hermit did I get?

brians

I bought a hermit crab today from my LFS. It was supposed to be a scarlet hermit but when I got it home I noticed it looks nothing like the pictures I've seen. It's legs have black and white stripes long-ways and it's pinchers are kinda black and white speckled. What kind of hermit might this be? Thanks.

brians

Here are some pictures... you can see that it has black/white stripes on its legs lengthwise and red antenna...

temple2101

My first guess was gonna be Zebra Hermit, but my zebras legs are not striped long ways ... so, now i don't know? However, if your hermit has one pincher bigger than the other, than it certainly resembles the zebra hermit.

cprdnick

Wow that's an ugly little bugger. the second and third pics look like some of the hermits I bought from my LFS. When I bought them they were called Tonga Hermits. Not real sure.

brians

His pinchers are both the same size. The color I thought was black might actually be more of a brown. I probably paid $6.00 for a $1.00 crab. Oh well, atleast I only bought one and not like 10-20, then I would be mad.
I was just curious what kind he was incase he turned out to be some kind of evil little bugger that would kill all my scarlets that I am going to order from this site soon.

cprdnick

If he starts getting little red spots on his legs then he's the same one I was talking about. They are colored from greyish green to brown and they have red antenna and little red spots on their legs. So far they've seemed mildly aggressive. As in, I've seen a snail get pulled from the shell, I've seen a battle over a new shell. I've also seen them devour a dead fish in less than an hour.