what kind of lettuce for my tang?

fishgeek01

Is there a preferred type of lettuce or vegatable green to feed tangs, I know in the reptile business you don't feed certain kinds.....

fishgeek01

I have the nori sheets, and some other non cooked seaweed, but thought for variety I would add the lettuce, so which is good which isn't, romaine, iceberg, etc... would spinach be okay?

reefkprz

dont use Iceberg, use romain, and its best if you parboil it first, (dunk it in scalding water) but dont actually cook it.

miaheatlvr

Ive heard of some people using BROCOLLI as well,, I meantioned i thought it was strange, but then they replied so is putting raw garlic into your tank as well,, and then i said "TOUCHE"

fishfanny79

Yes, definitely dunk it in boiling water...you don't know what sort of pesticides may be lurking on the lettuce...and you don't want that crap in your tank!

sepulatian

You can give them Romain, broccoli, zuccini, most green vegetables, but they have to be blanched first. You dunk them in boiling water for 10-20 seconds, then dunk them in cold-icy water. Don't use this as their main diet though, only as a treat.

kogle

Hey fishgeek I've heard of people feeding tangs carrots as well. I've never witnessed this or tried but I thought if I brought it up someone would chime in...

Why not just use algae sheets? They are easier, less worry, and provide the nutrition. I can feed my cat filet mignon, caviar, or patte but he eats cat food.

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by Myrtle Beach
Why not just use algae sheets? They are easier, less worry, and provide the nutrition. I can feed my cat filet mignon, caviar, or patte but he eats cat food.

As a treat, variety is the spice of life, thats about the simplest answer I can give you, plus sometimes its easier just picking up seafood and vegies at the grocery then making the trip to the lfs... the good ones are about an hour away usually unles you count deathco....