What kind of lighting would you guys recommend for my new tank?

mmync

I am just getting my new tank running and was wondering what would be the best lighting setup for my tank. It is going to be a fish only tank with live rock. I am not sure of how many gallons it is but the dimensions are 26" tall x 67" long x 24" deep. I would basically like to know what types of fixtures and bulbs would be the best and make it look the prettiest. Also how many bulbs or fixtures will I need. Thanks alot guys, Happy Holidays.

mmync

Well no I wouldnt consider it a hood just 2 thin plastic covers of acyrlic or plexi glass that sit on top of the tank and cover the 2 holes.

T

thomas712

Ok so standard type that we all had or have had at one time, even if it was in our freshwater days, this is typical of what most of us started with. These will only handle NO bulbs Normal Output.
What is the length of bulbs that they will hold? and how many bulbs will they hold. And are you planning on going with these plastic hoods?
Thomas

mmync

Thomas, there arent any hoods on my tank. Basically I have the hold top of my tank that I can use. 24" x 67" The whole top of my tank is completely flush and flat.

mmync

So the light setups that you guys recommende would give me a really nice and bright tank and make the fish look flourescent and blue?

T

thomas712

Remember he is just going fish only, there is no need for metal halides. Simple VHO would do him plenty of justice, giving him that blue/white crisp look.
Thomas

rex taylor

Re: He's only doing fish.
Well that lasted for about one month for me then it was fish and shrimp, then it was a few polyps, then some easy carals..........
Anyone else experience this phenonomen?
Anyway I say get the better lights. It saves money and time in the long run.
Just my two cents