what kind of lighting?

vsecret

I have a 55g tank that has been running for a year now. I've got LR/LS and fish. However i want to have corals now. I want to start slow, but I'm confused on exactly what kind of lighting i should have. I have heard of MH and T5 - which one would be best? but will not wipe out the bank. Heat is not that much of an issue since i live in Maine and its only hot 2 months of the year and I have AC in the room that the tank is in.
Can anyone give me some advice so i dont get the wrong thing?

wangotango

There is no "best" but a good 4-bulb T5ho fixture would allow you to keep whatever you wanted on a 55gal.

vsecret

Oh wonderful! Thanks for the help. I'm really looking foward to getting corals.
Is there a specific brand lighting system I should get?
Also what are good beginner corals?

flower

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3237792
Oh wonderful! Thanks for the help. I'm really looking foward to getting corals.
Is there a specific brand lighting system I should get?
Also what are good beginner corals?

With a little homework, and willingness for water changes you don't need new lights. There are some really beautiful coral that require none, to very little light.
Here are some pictures, I think it was Spanko who posted them first. The colors are so beautiful, they can't take the bright lights so now is the time to decide.
I thought if you don't have the cash for lights you might want to look into these. If you have MH or T5s the tank is too bright for them unless you have a cave or large overhang.

vsecret

oh wow those are beautiful Flower, I had no idea i could have those with the lights I have now. JAX, thanks for the pointer! I've been putting off doing anything because I'm not sure what I want!

bizzmoneyb

go with either T5 or metal halides. if going T5 go with one that has individual reflectors. i recommend the nova extreme pro 48" for T5's. its not real expensive, and ive seen some BEAUTIFUL tanks that use that light. its what i was going to buy until i got a great deal on my halides. but there are plenty of good units out there. as far as halides go the only one I have experience with is my coralife 2 x 250 watt unit. im happy with it.
you'll probably be able to find a T5 for less tho.
there are plenty of good brands out there. read more on here, check out what your local fish store has and read up on the brands. just avoid the "no name" e bay units.