What kind of lights to get?

cowhelmet

Currently I have a 46 gallon tank, and was curious what you guys might recommend for lighting?
Right now I'm using a 115w standard 2 tube setup. One Acintic and one normal day light.
I was looking into possibly getting the coralife 36" PC, 192w model.
Would this light really be worth it? Any other possible suggestions?
I'm positng in the reef forum because I'd eventually like to start putting some frags in.

S

scoobs

I have a 46gallon tank.. I have close to 400w of pc lighitng on it and it has worked great.. but if i had it to do over again i think i would get MH

cowhelmet

400w? That seems like a ton of wattage!
What does your setup look like? Do you hang the lights over your tank? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how I would be able to have room for all of that.

dueces

Get more Wattage then you plan. I got the Current 2 x96w over 46g and I am looking to upgrading my lighting. Plan it out beofre you buy. Try and get atleast 4 watts per gallon

lion_crazz

I would get at least 192 watts of PC running over that tank.
It really all depends on what you plan to keep. Do you want soft and LPS corals, or do you really want to keep acropora?

dueces

Originally Posted by Scoobs
I have a 46gallon tank.. I have close to 400w of pc lighitng on it and it has worked great.. but if i had it to do over again i think i would get MH
hey Do you have the Current Orbit with the 4 96w bulbs over the tank?

cymbal67

get at least a 150w MH HQI would be even better (double ended), supplement that with some actinics for the "glow" effect. you wont be as limited on coral selection with that.
but cost always comes into play with lighting, but if you spend it, you wont be sorry.

fishgeek01

There is a great hqi fixture that screws to the frame of your tank i beleive that corallife makes it, but not 100% on that, my buddy has it on his 29 gallon bow front looks awesome, especially with the 14 k bulb it is a 150 watt fixture

cymbal67

i have a coralife retro fit, nice and compact for my corner tank. 150w MH HQI with 2 double tubed 65w actinics and 2 led moonlights. all that fit on a 24x15 canopy lid

cowhelmet

Well after speaking with my LFS, I think I've decided to go with the coralife 192w model. For $220 bucks I don't think I can go wrong.
All I really want to be able to do is keep SPS corals, so from what I've been told this will do the trick. I really don't have the budget for MH lamp. Hopefully I won't be making a mistake with this one.
Thanks

fishgeek01

that is only 2-96 watt pc lamps right? in a 46 bow? how deep is the tank? I am thinking that sps may not be able to survive long term under those lights unless right at the very very top? Even with 4 96 watt pc's on my 75 i had trouble with any sps except montipora. I went to 2-150 mh and now i have acro flourishing in my dt. I would ask about your ability to keep the sps under that light.

cowhelmet

It's not a bow believe it or not. Hand me down tank, with weird dimensions.
I picked up the lights today, and they look great! I also bought a zoo frag, and a ricordia mushroom, and currently they are open and looking beautiful.
So right now I'm happy with the choice. I'll have to post some pics once I get a chance.
Thanks for all the advice.