What kind of LR is this?

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
That is a dead piece of acropora....
How is it dead? It is cause it doesn't have any plant life growing on it?!

travis89

Originally Posted by hotjeepinmomma
How is it dead? It is cause it doesn't have any plant life growing on it?!
It's an acropora coral that died and became LR.

Originally Posted by Travis89
It's an acropora coral that died and became LR.
So if that is the case i have no live rock in my tank its all dead!?

travis89

No, what makes it live is all the bacteria on it's surfaces, so its still live as long as it hasn't been out of water too long.

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Is that Cynobacteria all over it?
i think so i looked it up the images on google and it looks the same why is that bad?!

mikeyjer

i think so i looked it up the images on google and it looks the same why is that bad?!
It can take over your tank and kill any corals while at it....They do run their course though. What type of water are you using?? Are you stirring your sandbed?

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
It can take over your tank and kill any corals while at it....They do run their course though. What type of water are you using?? Are you stirring your sandbed?
tap water and this is a week old tank, and stirring the sandbed i've never herd of that!

mikeyjer

tap water and this is a week old tank, and stirring the sandbed i've never herd of that!
Number one issue, tap water!!!! You should look into getting RO/DI water!!!! But your cycling right now so you'll see different stuffs popping up here and there....It happens, nothing to worry about until your done cycling....

m0nk

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Number one issue, tap water!!!! You should look into getting RO/DI water!!!! But your cycling right now so you'll see different stuffs popping up here and there....It happens, nothing to worry about until your done cycling....
Yeah, I'm totally in agreement. Either buy an RO/DI unit or start making trips to your local walmart to fill up water jugs with their RO water. The walmart water isn't the best, but it sure beats tap water. There are contaminants in tap water that, if untreated, could be deadly to fish, inverts, and coral, or could cause major problem algae. The main ones are chlorine or chlorine alternatives, copper, phosphates, lead (and other heavy metals), and more.

Originally Posted by m0nk
Yeah, I'm totally in agreement. Either buy an RO/DI unit or start making trips to your local walmart to fill up water jugs with their RO water. The walmart water isn't the best, but it sure beats tap water. There are contaminants in tap water that, if untreated, could be deadly to fish, inverts, and coral, or could cause major problem algae. The main ones are chlorine or chlorine alternatives, copper, phosphates, lead (and other heavy metals), and more.
Well we have this stuff that we bought at the lfs and it says it takes out most of that stuff....

happyhourh

With saltwater aquaria, you dont really want to be adding many chemicals to the tank. Those water conditioners are fine for freshwater but not so much for salt. A good rule of thumb is dont add anything you dont test for.
If you seriously keep using tap water, I can almost guarantee that you will quit the hobby within 4 months. There are so many nutrients in tap water that you will face an extreme losing battle with various algaes. Since you have just started, it is really worth it to do it all right from the start. Make absolutely sure it is reverse osmosis water. Accept no substitutes.
As for the liverock, those look like nice pieces of recently dead coral which will be fine for live rock. During your 3-5 week cycle you will see lots of life spring up and various stages of algae. If the cyano gets bad you can syphon it out.
Really take your time and research a lot before you do anything else. Its very worthwhile to take your time and do it right.

Originally Posted by happyhourh
With saltwater aquaria, you dont really want to be adding many chemicals to the tank. Those water conditioners are fine for freshwater but not so much for salt. A good rule of thumb is dont add anything you dont test for.
If you seriously keep using tap water, I can almost guarantee that you will quit the hobby within 4 months. There are so many nutrients in tap water that you will face an extreme losing battle with various algaes. Since you have just started, it is really worth it to do it all right from the start. Make absolutely sure it is reverse osmosis water. Accept no substitutes.
As for the liverock, those look like nice pieces of recently dead coral which will be fine for live rock. During your 3-5 week cycle you will see lots of life spring up and various stages of algae. If the cyano gets bad you can syphon it out.
Really take your time and research a lot before you do anything else. Its very worthwhile to take your time and do it right.
Okay i'm not adding any chemicals to the tank, it is called stress coat that you put in the water while your mixing the salt to get the chlorine out of the water, the bottle says that it take out most copper etc, so i'm not just putting it in the tank right out of the tap. The tank i am referring to has been set up for 8-9 months now, so i'm not going to quit the hobby i've been doing the same thing that long and this is the first time i've had any problems with the tank.

m0nk

Okay i'm not adding any chemicals to the tank, it is called stress coat that you put in the water while your mixing the salt to get the chlorine out of the water, the bottle says that it take out most copper etc, so i'm not just putting it in the tank right out of the tap. The tank i am referring to has been set up for 8-9 months now, so i'm not going to quit the hobby i've been doing the same thing that long and this is the first time i've had any problems with the tank.
Actually, that technically is adding chemicals to the tank. Any time you add anything to the water, it's going into the tank.
Personally, I'd advise against this and suggest you go the RO or RO/DI water route, but that's up to you. You'll definitely have trouble down the line if you don't.

happyhourh

???

We are just trying to help avoid wasted time and money. Do as you wish. There is always hindsight.