What kind of MH bulbs to use?

R

ryddo

I have just bought a new lighting system. It contains 2 175watt MH bulbs, and 2 65watt PC's. I have actinics in the PC lighting fixtures and I was wondering what type of MH bulbs I should use in their fixture. The tank that I am trying to light is a 72 gallon bow front tank. It will have a 5-inch DSB and about 100 pounds a LR. Any suggestions will be appreciated! :confused:

bobber

I would go with either 6500k or 10000k 175w MH bulbs. Both will look great, but the color will vary slightly between the two choices. 6500k is closer to natural sunlight. HTH--Bob

cveach

While the 6500k is closer to natural sunlight you will find the color is ugly. I currently run a Sunburst 12,000k 250watt MH and really like the color, as do my corals. I would not go less the 10,000k in a display tank. Coral Propagation tank the 6,500k is great.

bayouguy

I have the same light setup and I'm using stock 5500k MH bulbs. I can't see any significant "yellow" in their hue - they are super bright, and in combination with the actinics, they are awesome.
If you want to see a page with pictures and a detail of my installation of the same type of fixture (2-175 MHs and 2 65 PCs) see:
http://www.humankind.com/aq/index3.html
I'm very pleased with my setup - it works very well.

burnnspy

I would go 10000K for a pleasing visual affect. I use a single 12000K in my 29gal reef and it is awesome.
BurnNSpy

getinjr

I have 2 175mh 10000k true germans(no pun),I love the color,i also have vho actinics to bring out a true underwater picture!

R

ryddo

Thank you all for the information you gave me. I think I am going with the 10k halides after the information I have heard!