What kind of power heads?????? Skimmer?

kittenboo

Ok all. So I need to put so power heads in my tank. I need some help. What kind? How many? What size? New to this so ANY info welcome. I have a all glass 46 gal bow front. It is a fish only tank with live rock. I have a fulval 404. No skimmer yet either. Any info about a good skimmer would be welcome as well. Please keep in mind that this is fish only. I have no intention of adding any corals or inverts to this set up ever. Waiting for the 180 gal.
So please all let me hear what you have to say. Thanks

djevack

You need to turn your water arond 15x an hour. At least 1/2 of that should be done by your fliters, you could even make all 15x go through your fliter system. so u need around 700gph of water flow. your Fluval is around 340gph?? so a HOB skimmer that does 200-300gph would be good. Then just 1 or 2 power heads moving around the water would be fine.

airforceb2

I personally would get...
Excalibur skimmer w/ MaxiJet 1200 (295GPH)
One additional MaxiJet 1200 to create surface agitation
This should be perfect for your tank. If you want, you can reduce the second powerhead with a MJ 900 if you want.

kdfrosty

Maxijet 900s use a considerable amount less power consumption than the maxijet 1200. Might be good for you especially since your tank's not too large.

mikeyjer

I also have a 46 bow front, we have a eheim canister filter and a maxi jet 900. Going to put a protein skimmer on there soon. I was told just one maxi jet 900 would work just fine cause it's a 46 bow front, it was told by more then one personS. My friend and also the LFS. Just think, protein skimmer would disturb the top of the water and the filter will move the water around and then the power head can move the water in the bottom. Good Luck!!! :happyfish

S

sinner's girl

I just went to walmart, and got a powerhead for my size tank. Had one in the 55gl, two in the 75gl.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
I just went to walmart, and got a powerhead for my size tank. Had one in the 55gl, two in the 75gl.
I have two maxi jet 1200 running in my 55 and also a protein skimmer, Aqua C Remora with maxi jet 1200. Also a Eheim Canister filter. :happyfish

jr1053

Also have a 50 gallon and use 2 Maxi Jets 1200s at opposite ends of the tank pointed at each other. On the output opening of each powerhead I've attached the Hydor Flo rotating nozzle. Makes for great circulation! I also have a third 1200 MJ attached to my Remora skimmer and think it's a great add-on that almost never needs adjustments and works flawlessly.
John

wieselspor

I have a fluval 204 a aqua c remora with a mj 1200 and i have two other aqua clear 4000 (~250gph). Does anyone think this is too much? 37g bowfront