what kind of protien skimmer do i want ???

jeffro63

Hello folks, I'm new into saltwater and i'm not sure what type of protien skimmer i want. I'm kinda torn between a seaclone and a bak pak. anybody got a good suggestoin for me. Btw i have a 55 gallon with about 60 lbs of live rock.
thanks

angelofish

I have a Seaclone on my 55. Its works OK .I guess. The Aqua C Remora w/maxi jet pump is supposed to be way better for 55.

acekjd83

ive got the via aqua multi-skimmer backpack on my 29, and it's ok... the protein skimmer part works, but the filter pad setup part of it sucks. i'd say just go for the stand-alone skimmer, since they can usually work on larger tanks, in case you ever upgrade yours

jeffro63

after doing still more research.......... what about a prizm pro deluxe since i have limited amount of head room under my canopy, it says
it only needs 2" of head room. would this maybe be a wise choice ?

angelofish

I remember reading somewhere that they tend to fill up and overflow with water.:eek: Maybe someone else can add to this.

ivy2dw7

I have had the Prizm pro deluxe running on my 37g for a month now. After I figured out how it works I really haven't had to mess with it at all. It's a little noisy but I don't really know how loud/quiet other skimmers are so I can't compare. The noise doesn't bother me at least. It's a good skimmer, I use it without the carbon in the filter section though since I have a Millenium 3000 running also.

capt.lunch

The main point here is that when you get into the lower priced skimmers there is usally something about it that is lacking or not up to par. You can do a google on all those brands mentioned and you will find lots of negative comments. Even the ones that aren't negative still say that its OK, except for, something. If you want a really good skimmer from every aspect you are going to have to graduate to a little higher class. I read articles and comments on these things everyday and out of the lower priced skimmers Bak-pak and Aquar C have the fewest negative remarks and when people praise them they are always better than just OK. If you want to go to the next level you might as well skip alot of the in betweens and go for an ASM. These are Euro-Reef knockoffs and for alot less bucks. I've yet to find someone put ASM skimmers down.

jeffro63

Wow thank you everyone for the support your giving. Thats really cool, i wasn't expecting that. i really appreciate the help.
ASM skimmer ......... never heard of that one is that the name brand ? would i be able to find a web site that tells about it. Also where would i go to purchase it it ? I've been to every lfs within 75 miles from home and never seen that one.
once again, thank you

capt.lunch

The ASM skimmers are made by the other half of EuroReef after the two companies split. These are excellent skimmers utilizing THE SAME PUMPS, SAME DESIGN, and SAME AWESOME EFFICIENCY as the EUROREEF models. The ONLY difference is: The ASM skimmer utilizes an Extruded PVC body to save on manufacturing costs! Euroreef uses cell cast acrylic. Also, there is no threaded union for the collection cup. The ASM Skimmer uses a slip fit with an O-Ring. Excellent and very easy to take off and clean!
The same pump, same impeller system and same efficiency at a lower price.
*************** G-1X approx. $209.00. 120gal.

jeffro63

is this ASM one that hangs on the back of the tank or one that goes in a sump? i don't have a sump yet. not quit in the budget yet. Perhaps down the road, just not yet.

jeffro63

Thank you folks very much for the help and info. I believe the Aqua C Remora is going to be my choice. Now all I gotta do is find a lfs that has one for sale.
Once again, thank you all very much
p.s. thumbs up to capt.lunch

mbrands

Originally posted by jeffro63
Now all I gotta do is find a lfs that has one for sale.

Try online retailers. I found mine for $160 including shipping, but you might find a better price. A famous auction site has quite a few with decent "buy it now" prices.
You won't regret getting the Remora. I love mine! :D

arkey.d

[Link violation - out of respect for the owner and operator of this site, please do not link to competitors]