What kind of skimmer do I need if I am planning on turning my tank to a reef?

bethany

I don't currently have one. Right now all I have in my 45 gallon tank is 60#ls, needing about 20-30# more lr, carrot sponge, 1 royal gama, and a wet/dry filter for up to 60 gallons. I am planning on returning my livestock and add more rock, let it recycle if necessary and then begin my quest for a reef. Also, what requirements do i need as far as lighting goes? Currently have 1 20watt blue light, 1 20watt full spectrum light......thanks

slothy

i would either step up to vho or pc lighting..
and for a skimmer i have a seaclone 100 (new version) and it works pretty good for a 40 gallon... i cant comment on other brands since i havent used them.. my seaclone sits in my sump (lifereef 60)

ilove2ride

VHO= Very High Output
PC= Power Compacts
They are strong lights needed for most corals, and other reef organisms.

josh

Hi,
Well as far as skimmers go, there is really some debate as to whether you would even need one...having said that a bakpak II ( or IIR ) or a Remore ( or Remora Pro ) would be fine for your system.
As for the lighting, you said you want a reef....well what kind? Are you into sofites or SPS and clams?
HTH

bethany

Am i into what??? I am still new to the saltwater thing.... all i know is i want a pretty tank with rocks, corals (dont know the difference between soft or hard), I want everything colorful, pretty fish, and what about the lighting?????? HELP ME PLEASE....:D :confused: :mad:

josh

Originally posted by josh
Are you into sofites or SPS and clams?

Are you into just what I asked :)
Ok, it sounds like you best bet is to first buy a good book on corals and decide what you would like to keep. Eric Borneman has a very very good book out that you should buy and read before you even think about lights.