What kind of skimmer

hip68

Ok, I am over the next several weeks going to be collecting the equiptment for my new 100g tank. I am using a 15-20g rubbermaind container to act a s a refugium. Both the tank and the refugium will have a dsb and liverock.
What I want to do is have the pods in the refuguim be picked up and carried into the main tank without grinding to a pulp. I assume to do this i need to have the skimmer dump into a seperate tank or can it flow right into the refugium and then i have a pump there go back to the main tank. And what is a good skimmer to get? From what i can find out so far its the venturi skimmers that seem to be the best. Is this correct?
Fortunately ( or not) i cant afford to get everything at once so i have research time for each purchase. Tho the waiting time with the tank in the bedroom empty and dry is driving me crazy.
Thanks for any help on this.

cboyfan2020

that is exactly what I am doing. except a little different. here is a pic of my setup. I am using a nautilus TE skimmer. It is rated for a 300g tank but I got a good deal on it.

cboyfan2020

most pumps will allow them to pass. A few will be chopped up but a lot should make it to the tank. Those 2 pumps in the drawing are mag 7's

hip68

cool :) The external overflow box i bought has 2 1 inch bulkheads so i figured i would run one to the main sump, and one to the refugium and control the flow with ball valves. The have some kind of bulkhead off the refugium back into a return chamber where the pump will take water and critters to the main tank.
Now what skimmers are the best.. I understand from reading that anything with a Rio pump is a bad thing. But ive seen many differeant kinds, Euroreef, Seaclone, etc.

cboyfan2020

I need to edit that diagram. I am not going to put a bulkhead in cause it would just be a headache. I am just going to let it overflow over the baffle back to the return chamber. I have the same kinda HOB with 2 1" drains and I am running them both to the skimmer compartment. I think it will get the water much cleaner have to go through the skimmer first then the fuge.

marinerock

Hey Hip....
Kent Nautilus TE turbo-eductor protein skimmer
w/a Mag-Drive #700 pump.....
Great skimmer.....Highly recommend...
It is a large skimmer...(go to Kentmarine.com)
for the dimensions...
Regards...
Marinerock

hip68

Thanks! Ill look around for some prices. From what i have seen I want a skimmer designed really for 3 times tank volume minimum for maximum cleaning. Is that correct?

marinerock

Hey Hip....
Basically, the bigger the better...
the Nautilus is rated for a 300 gal tank...
I have a 125 gal and it does a GREAT job....
Regards...
Marinerock

rane

I would go with the Euro-Reef, they are the best out there I have tried a few others and havent been happy, with the euro-reef its the best money I ever spent.

buyitjody

Just to make you aware, Euro-Reef will only replace parts on your Euro-Reef skimmer if you have your original receipt showing that you are the original owner. Want to make sure you know this so that if you buy one used, you probably won't be able to get replacement parts if something breaks.
A friend of mine bought a used one and needed to replace something on it and they would not send him any parts since he didn't have a receipt and was not the original owner.

krux

if you take your fuge water from your drain line as opposed to your return line you do not need to overbuy as much on the return pump to compensate for the additional head pressure created by the pressure lost to the tee as well as the pressure lost to the ball valve. if you tee off of your drain like gravity does it all for you.