What kind of snake is this?

mrdc

Thanks all. I have more pics at home and I will post a closer one tonight after LOST! I can identify most posionous snakes since there aren't that many too Identify….cottonmouths, copperhead, rattle snake, coral snakes. I live near a lake so I do worry about moccasins but I have not seen any yet. Anyway, I have seen several like the one in the picture. The funny thing on this one is I was trying to decide whether to take the skimmer bucket out (I was actually in the middle of doing something else). When I first looked down, I saw nothing. When I decided to empty it, my hand was probably 2 inches from the bucket when up he popped. I had to rub a chlorine tablet in my draws to clean the mess
. Anyway, I took it out and played with him a little bit on the concrete and he was a striking fool but I guess I would be too if I had a giant messing with me. I don’t kill snakes unless I can positively identify them as being poisonous. I will get the better pics out tonight and see if we can get a better identification. I will also check out some of the links. Thanks.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by mrdc
Anyway, I took it out and played with him a little bit on the concrete and he was a striking fool .

:scared:

mrdc

Originally Posted by lovethesea
:scared:

I should state I played with him with a stick in hand
My actual hands NEVER touched it!

shogun323

Mrdc ?!?!?! Are you out there? Last we heard from you you were playing Jeff Corwin with the snake. I hope you arent in the vemon ER!!!

mrdc

Originally Posted by shogun323
Mrdc ?!?!?! Are you out there? Last we heard from you you were playing Jeff Corwin with the snake. I hope you arent in the vemon ER!!!

I play with snakes with a very long stick...
More pics...sorry for the size...

lovethesea

no playing with snakes........... :scared:
anyways.....I'm stickin' with my first thought. Juvi Rat. I'm telling ya.....I've seen tons of them. Look at the bigger black "square". It kind of looks like a stretch out CC startfish. (at least that how I have learned to relate to it)
Yours has the same thing. Believe me.........when I see snakes, I head for the hills, my sis in law swears I walked on water once when we were trout fishing and a bunch of sunning snakes decdided to take a dip right in front of me.
Look at my link with the juvi and look at his back.....the "stretched out starfish"
If you only knew how much snakes scare the crap outta me......

alyssia

Our cat brought home a snake that looked alot like that, but bigger. It was actually the biggest snake I've ever seen that wasn't in captivity.
We find alot of snakes in our woodpile too. :scared:
Anyway, when Mr. Kitty brought that snake home my kids were poking at it with a stick and it was striking like crazy. My daughter is saying "Do it again!Do it again!" and I'm yelling "WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING!!!! LEAVE THAT SNAKE ALONE!"

mrdc

Originally Posted by Phixer
:hilarious Remember Snake Plisken from Escape from New York? :hilarious

SNNNNAAAKKKEEE Plisken! I heard of you...I heard you were dead!

chipmaker

Its definately not venomous.. More than likely a young grey rat snake. Rat snakes are quick to strike at just a slight bit of agitation.

swlover

Looks like a rat snake to me too..we have them around our farm. We leave them be because they... well kill and eat rats! It will bite you however and better to just let it go in a field somewhere. I was weeding my garden one day and grabbed one that was hidden under a huge plant, it nicked me, felt like a bee sting. It was just a nick..I must have pulled my hand back at just the right time, he didn't get his whole mouth around my hand and boy it hurt like the dickens. I was freakin out when it slithered out of the bushes..about 5 ft long..my friend told me it was a rat snake and not to worry...it looked just like that except the colors were a little more faded. I got dizzy alittle but i think that was fright, not anything else.

speg

well there is no rattle... so not a pigmy.. cant see the nose... is the nose flat? Probably not.. it doesnt have the same pattern at all that a pigym/hognose has..
It does look similiar to a gray rat snake... whats the bottom of the snake look like? A checkered pattern? No offense but those pics make it hard to tell! Need clooooser pics.. and not of it in the water :p lol

mrdc

I think the bottom on this one was orange. Sorry will have to wait until next year for better pics because that's all I have but I am sure I will catch more next year...always do.