What kind of SPS is this?

xabxam

My dad recently got this from an lfs,and he forgot the name of it.:rolleyes: I know SPS corals are hard to identify,but hopefully you can tell ,me what it is.I think it looks like a montipora cap.

golfish

Originally posted by xabxam
I think it looks like a montipora cap.

looks like an orange cap to me

xabxam

So,does everyone else think that it looks like a monti cap. too,or do you just not know?:thinking:

attml

The thicker knob type coralites in the 1st picture make me think it is Turbinaria. I had one with a similar structure.

spsfreak100

The M. capricornis doesn't have any evidant corallite structure, nor does it has large polyps. I'll guess it's a Turbinaria Reniformis. To be sure, we would need a closer image of the coral.
Graham

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Magic_Carp
Montipora Capricornius (spelling?)

Montipora capricornis ;)
(For future reference, when typing/spelling a scientific name, always capitalize the genus, family, subgenera, genera, etc. and leave the first letter of the species name at regular font. As an example, M
ontipora is the genus of the coral, therefore the M will be capitalized. The capricornis is the species name, therefore the first letter, c, will not be capitalized. If you want to get even more specific, the entire name should be italicized. But, most people are too lazy to do that :) )
Take Care,
Graham