what kind of tang?

ivy2dw7

I want to have one tang in my reef tank and I can't really decide which would be best. I wanted to go with a yellow tang, but I'd kind of like to have a blue fish in the tank. I'm planning on getting a royal gramma, 2 percula clowns, some tang, and either a domino or 3 stripe damsel. I just want one tang, that's all my tank would be able to handle. And the tang police will probably say I can't even have a tang in my tank, but I've been told by several people that I can do it. It's a 37g. Any thoughts?

mbrands

I retract my original posting . . .
Originally posted by ivy2dw7
I've been told by several people that I can do it.

What people?
Do you plan to later purchase and set up a larger tank? A young/small tang will live (albeit a short while) in a 37 gallon tank.

22caddy

You can keep a tang for a shortwhile, but only a yellow. Hate to say it but with the fish you have selected the bioload may be too much for a 37.

chamic1

Unfortunately I have to agree. I also wanted a tang; however, I have a 29 gallon tank. What most people have told me is they need a bare, bare min. of 4 ft. of swimming room. You have to understand that a tang living in the ocean has many meters of swimming room (vertically and laterally). The point of a reef tank is to simulate the nature enviornment, be sure not to down-size it. Tangs are very susceptable to ich. Without the proper environment, they will develope disease and die quickly. The disease they develope may also infect your other inhabs with can be devistating:nervous:

ivy2dw7

I was thinking add the damsel last so it couldn't stake out the whole tank as it's territory. And it would give the rest of the fish sufficient time to claim their territory. Are there any other larger than damsel fish that would be suitable for this tank, like the coral beauty? I only want one larger fish, just trying to think of some options.

greatfullreefer

Consider Chromis instead of damsils, with a 37 Gallon i am affraid that big fish are not an option...with the coral Beauty your tank will be well stocked.

ophiura

The only tang, IMO, marginally suitable for a short period of time would be a yellow eye (aka Kole) tang. Their behavior is a bit more "rock hugging" and are not as much open swimmers as a yellow. That being said, it wouldn't be for long.

J

jfdjason

Tangs are only recommended in tanks of 75 or larger I believe

pontius

many angels of the Centropyge family (coral beauty is in this class) belongs to this group. of course when full grown, most of these angels won't be much bigger than clowns and damsels.....3 to 3.5 inch range, and there are MANY fish in that size range. look through the dwarf angels, clowns, damsels, gobies, and wrasses and you'll find a lot of fish that would be good for that tank.

paulcoates

Yellow Tangs are rated to go into a minimum of 50 gallon tank. But using the 4-1 or 5-1 Gallons to inches of fish, I dont think you can fit one in there. The load would be too much. Since you have a 37 gallon tank, the most you could probably support is 9 inches total of fish
Three Stripe Up to 4"
Domino Up to 6"
royal gramma Up to 3"
2 percula clowns Up to 3" each
If you get the Domino you will already have 15" of fish (2.5-1 ratio)
If you get the Three Stripe you will have 13" of fish(3-1 ratio)