What kind of water do i use?

jigga619

I'm about to set up my 44 gallon salt water tank. I have a Seaclone 100 protein skimmer and Emperor Power Filter 280B so far. What kind of water do I need to use? Can I just use regular tap water (then mix in the instant ocean), or do I need some special kind of water?

cjburden

you can use regular tap water, but you'll need to get some tap water conditioner. the best kind to get typically is one that uses 1 drop per 1 gallon of water, and look for a reputable fish supplies brand such as aquarium pharmecuticals, for example. Its also helpful if you allow your water to sit for a short period of time and aerate it using an air pump or powerhead (with the salt mixed in already). It isn't required, but it helps reduce the amount of algae growth you'll have, and any possible pollutants that are contained in your water that the conditioner doesn't treat.

entice59

well you can buy RO water- reverse osmosis water, which is really pure at those water machines infront of the stores like albertsons, safeway, kmart, etc for a couple of cents a gallon. i pay 35
you can use tap water, just dont use water from the hot water facuet, because thats bad water, the waterheater has curd in it and of course, you dont want that in your tank. Use cold water, put in the salt, use a powerhead and use a heater to warm up the water and let the water mix for 24 hrs before putting it in.
The powerhead will mix and airate the water for you and the heater helps you from shocking the fish plus you can only tell if the salanity is right when your water is around the same temp as your tank. Basically you need this (bucket/rubbermaid tub, cold tap water, conditioner, salt, powerhead and heater) remember to put conditioner before mixing the salt like it is recommended(dont know if this is true)

entice59

slowly pour it in and make sure the ph and the temp are the same(not exactly but close) so you wont shock your fish. yes you can have those on
but if your implying that you are mixing it in the tank, you cant do that

cjburden

yes you can. if its a new tank and you don't have any fish in it, thats entirely possible. However if you DO mix it in the tank, its best NOT to have any substrate present yet so that the salt doesn't settle into it. That being said you can even still do it then (not suggested) and periodically stir the gravel for a day or two to ensure that there isn't any undisolved salt in it.
After you add fish and water for the first time, you must always mix the salt and water outside of the tank prior to adding it.

cjburden

and yes, keep your filters running if you do mix it in the tank, as that will aid in increasing your current, which is a large factor in mixing the solution properly.

entice59

Originally posted by CjBurden
yes you can. if its a new tank and you don't have any fish in it, thats entirely possible. However if you DO mix it in the tank, its best NOT to have any substrate present yet so that the salt doesn't settle into it. That being said you can even still do it then (not suggested) and periodically stir the gravel for a day or two to ensure that there isn't any undisolved salt in it.
After you add fish and water for the first time, you must always mix the salt and water outside of the tank prior to adding it.

i just did that last night, added the salt and such and woke up this morning checking for any left over grains with my hands, but why would his skimmer/filter be on if the tank was empty unless if those are two seperate questions

entice59

oops sorry i just skimmed through his first post and realized he didnt even set up the tank, i was just thrown off by the question about if he could add it in while the equipment is on, i wouldnt use the skimmer if your cycling anyways

cjburden

well, the skimmer won't likely skim anything, so it will only act as a water pump essentially, which is good for mixing the water. It doesn't hurt to turn the skimmer on because if there isn't anything to skim, nothing will be skimmed, but if there is, it will. At least, thats how it was explained to me. I could be wrong, stranger things HAVE happened. ;)
As for the mechanical filtration, I'm less sure of whether leaving that on while mixing would have any negative effect, but I wouldn't think it likely. *shrug*

entice59

yeah i wouldnt know anything about the filter, i would leave them off while mixing in the tank, theres no point, if you dont have powerhead(s) i would recommend you to buy it and let it mix in the tank and have the heater on to make sure salinity is right heres a picture from last night
i woud leave some room for substrate(rocks,sand) or else your tank will overflow

cjburden

good point about leaving room for the substrate, thats something a lot of people probably wouldn't even think of.
Also, remember if anything, to undermix the salt instead of overmixing. After adding the salt, allow it to sit 1 day, take your SG measurement and then if necessary add more salt. Its easier (and lest wasteful) to have too little than too much. If you have too much you'll just have to do a water change right away.

entice59

i dont want to argue with your ideas and jigga619 has not responded, but my opinion would be read the instructions but i just guess how much i need, if its too much add more "pure" water and then take it and then put it in a jug and save it. Put the old saltwater in the rubbermaid, when you make more saltwater thats less salt you will have to add, or you can just waste it and flush it in the toliet(im guility of)
adding less would be alright, its totally up to the person whos doing it
were just shooting ideas left and right

cjburden

yea thats essentially what I was saying, was that if you add too much you'll need to do a water change, adding freshwater and removing salt and adjust down. You'll also need a place to store the removed saltwater, or you'll just waste it.
I just find it easier to simply adjust up as needed, instead of adjusting down, although I suppose that is a personal preference.