What makes a tank reef ready?

batmen09

New guy question.......What makes a tank reef ready.I just got my first saltwater tank....75 gallon(fresh for 15 years) and my dream is to someday have a beautiful reef tank.I know I have lots of reading to do!Please point me in the right direction with the basics.Thanks bm

stacyt

Reef ready usually refers to having a tank that has built in overflows. Most reef tanks use a filtration system that normally sits underneath the tank. Having a built in overflow allows water from your tank to drain down to the filtration system underneath, and then a return pump push's the water back into the display.

hairtrigger

Yes, it means the tank has a hole drilled either in the side or the bottom. PVC piping is usually attatched to bulkheads there, inside a cornerbox. That allows under the tank filtration, and a clean plumbing job. The PVC serves as return and sump passage ways for the water to get to the display and filtration. The corner box is where the top of the water from the display flows into the sump. :cool:

bstoner

IMO you do not have to get a reef ready tank to have an awesome reef tank. You should look at garf.org for some great info and reading reguarding the subject. Look under the bulletproof reef system and read as much on the site as you can handle. They seem to have a good hold on the best ways to do things. Check them out:D