What makes a Zoo a PPE, or RPE for that matter - Any pics?

stuckinfla

I did a search and came up with nothing. What makes a zoo a people eater, and does anyone have good pics of them??

T

thomas712

Well there is a guy here in Mich that has some rather rare or prize ones, but I have not called him yet. here are some of his pics.

T

thomas712

Ah woundn't you know it, his other pics are in a different format.
:mad:

nm reef

Gotta love the diversity of zooanthids!!!
I believe the PPE's are just a name created to describe a particular color morph that has a intense purple center. I once saw a web site where they were offered for sell at a sky high price with the name to market them.....Maybe the RPE's are some exotic red color morph offered in the same manner.:thinking:
In any case the diversity available...at much more reasonible prices makes me shy away from the high priced marketing schemes.
I've picked all mine up locally.....I've seen these marketed as "dragon eyes"....but where I saw them under that name they were priced at around $50 for a small 2"-3" frag. I got this rock origionally for about $30......and I still have the origional rock plus 4-5 new growth frags spread around my display.

nm reef

I have a few others also.....these have a subtle orangish coloration with a yellowish center.These were also relatively in-expensive. maybe I need to create a fancy name for them huh?

nm reef

These are a recent addition....this picture isn't all that great...they have bright green fringe and a brilliant orange center....with a cream colored spot .....real bright in person.....what could I call these?

nm reef

I started calling these "chocolate zoos" about 2 years ago....unfortunately the name never caught on....nobodys went nuts wanting them....and I failed once again to profit from a craze.....but here they are....chocolate with cream centers.....

T

thomas712

Well I called on those zoo frags today, seems I'll have to take a 2 hour road trip to pick them up. Spoke to lady who's family direct imports from the Soloman Islands, they tell me that they have lots of nice colored zoos just like in the pic's. If all works out and they grow nice then I'll have to contact the Wizard for some trading :D

stuckinfla

NM - I have the same as pic 3 - I luv them!! If you think of a name, I'll come up with the selling edge!! I like you chocolates anyway:D
Thomas - can those frags your picking up "swim" to Fl??

ross

Yall have some awesome zoos. Id be interested to trade for most any of the pics posted. I have some pretty nice ones too....pink, true blues, blue/green/orange, electric green/yellow, red with purple centers, brown with pink centers. They look kinda sucky under the 10k mh but heres a good pic of my zoos in a buddys tank.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by becca
I have never had alot of luck with zoes. can you give me some pointers?

You need stable water chemistry, this means that you will check your alkalinity and calcium at least a couple times per week and dose or water change to keep them within reef tank specs.
Good lighting, some zoo's will curl under intense lighting others love it. Depends on which ones you get. But good lighting is a must.
Thats really about all it takes, you don't need to spot feed them but I have a tendancy to do it once a week or so. Very fine foods like cyclopezee or something finely mashed.
Thomas

becca

I have VHO lighting. 4 - 75 watt bulbs on a 58 gal tank. equals about 5.17 watts per gal. They are offset so the blues are more at one end the white at the other. Any suggestions on where to put them? high, low, middle, blue end, white end?
Thanks for the help!