what marine plant will help with nitrate? (small size)

colourmop

can anyone tel me what kind marine plants can help me get ride of nitrate? i have a 12gal nano cube and 27w dual lighting. someone told me maiden's hair, does it help with nitrate?
thanks!

miaheatlvr

you can try Halimeda and shaving brushes as well, They claim to help remove nitrates, but you also need to try to get to the root of your nitrates as well!

hatessushi

The chaeto or halimeda is your best bet. I had some shaving brush and threw it out because they are messy. I had these pine needle things all over the place and made the tank look horrible.

cwgibson

i have a maidens hair and i love it. it is really nice looking in my tank, although my hermits ate my first one they havent bothered this one.

bojik

Originally Posted by cwgibson
i have a maidens hair and i love it. it is really nice looking in my tank, although my hermits ate my first one they havent bothered this one.
Odd i thought the only thing that tolerated its mild toxin was tangs. Though i might be thinking of another plant.

alyssia

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
The chaeto or halimeda is your best bet. I had some shaving brush and threw it out because they are messy. I had these pine needle things all over the place and made the tank look horrible.

My shaving brush left needles all over my fuge and wouldn't stop spreading.

colourmop

think i could put chaeto or maiden's hair in 1 of those breeder's net cage in my tank? so my hermits wont get their hands on them and i can somewhat control their growth?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by sebae09
go with the xenia it looks the best and does the best.
Is there actually any documented proof that xexia for sure 100% lowers nitrates??

colourmop

so hermits will help control maiden's hair's growth?
(incase it grow out of control)
or they will eat the whole thing up with in days?

cwgibson

it took them about 3 wks to eat my piece, but for some reason they havent touched the new one i have gotten to replace it.

whitey_028

you need to find out whats causing the nitrate issue and no xenia does not take out nitrates. There is no documented scientific facts thats say xenia takes out nitrates. On the other hand there is documented scientific facts that clams, shaving brush and mangroves do as they are what filters the oceans. You also may be overfeeding as that is usually the main cause of nitrates in a saltwater aquarium.

rustyj

Originally Posted by whitey_028
you need to find out whats causing the nitrate issue and no xenia does not take out nitrates. There is no documented scientific facts thats say xenia takes out nitrates. On the other hand there is documented scientific facts that clams, shaving brush and mangroves do as they are what filters the oceans. You also may be overfeeding as that is usually the main cause of nitrates in a saltwater aquarium.

Whitey is right you should really look for the cause if nitrates are a problem and you are doing your regular recomended water changes etc. If you are just looking to extend the intervals of changing water than that is a different story. There are more reasons to make water changes than just higher nitrate levels (which you may or may not be aware of). Take a good look at your tank, how many fish, how much and often do you feed them, size of your clean up crew (maybe not enough) and possible places where ditrius and excess food can settle down and rot in your tank. There looks like there is another alternative provided by PURA, it is a filter media that says it eliminates nitrate levels at first and maintains low to undetectable levels for up to 24 cycles (regenerate 24 times with table salt). I have never tried it but am going to buy some to see how if it works. Good luck