what method did you use

arsen_36

to take out your damsels? i have one 3 stripe damsel and had it since it was cute and iny.... and well now its almost completely black, UGLY, and EXTREMELY mean to my O.clowns (pair) :mad: . i have a 29g with lots of rock that i would hate to take out. if you did it with your rock still in the tank PLEASE tell me how. i swear if i ever get this guy out he's getting the toilet

thanks in advance ***)

rbaldino

Well, I'd tell you how, but not if you're just going to flush him. Maybe you should get rid of the clowns because they're obviously not up to the whole "survival of the fittest" thing.

shogun323

I had to remove a Chromis which is a type of Damsel. I ended up feeding it for a few days with the net in the tank so it got used to it being in there. Then I nabbed him. It was a pain in the butt and took me multiple attempts. If that doesnt work either try the pitchfork or get some dynomite!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by shogun323
I had to remove a Chromis which is a type of Damsel. I ended up feeding it for a few days with the net in the tank so it got used to it being in there. Then I nabbed him. It was a pain in the butt and took me multiple attempts. If that doesnt work either try the pitchfork or get some dynomite!!
UGH WADE!!!! You are supposed to be one of the good guys :joy: If it is a 29 gallon tank I realy don't see what the problem is. Use a large net, or just move your rocks and get him. Did you cycle with him??

shogun323

Originally Posted by sepulatian
UGH WADE!!!! You are supposed to be one of the good guys :joy: If it is a 29 gallon tank I realy don't see what the problem is. Use a large net, or just move your rocks and get him. Did you cycle with him??
emailed ya back!!

arsen_36

no i didnt cycle with him. bought the damsel about a year ago thinking when it gets bigger and meaner ill return him. i used to have a dwarf hawk in the tank who kept the damsel in check but once my hawk jumped the damsel started picking on my clowns. i've tried the net method but he's just to fast... at times i would have the net in the tank for a week or two. i have also tried the fish "trap" thing using a plastic water bottle and some food which... also failed

sepulatian

Originally Posted by arsen_36
no i didnt cycle with him. bought the damsel about a year ago thinking when it gets bigger and meaner ill return him. i used to have a dwarf hawk in the tank who kept the damsel in check but once my hawk jumped the damsel started picking on my clowns. i've tried the net method but he's just to fast... at times i would have the net in the tank for a week or two. i have also tried the fish "trap" thing using a plastic water bottle and some food which... also failed

You had a hawk that jumped out of the tank? That is quite remarkable being they don't have a swim bladder. What kind of hawk did you have?

arsen_36

my lfs had it labeled as a dwarf hawkfish but on here (salwaterfish.com) its under Pixy Hawkfish. i used to have my rocks stacked up pretty close to the surface which im guessing is how he jumped but i could be wrong.
ps they are a GREAT addition. he was always out in the open and followed me around the tank when i would stare. awsome fish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by arsen_36
my lfs had it labeled as a dwarf hawkfish but on here (salwaterfish.com) its under Pixy Hawkfish. i used to have my rocks stacked up pretty close to the surface which im guessing is how he jumped but i could be wrong.
ps they are a GREAT addition. he was always out in the open and followed me around the tank when i would stare. awsome fish
I know, I have a Falco. That was why I asked. He couldn't build up enough speed to get out of the tank if he tried all day long
He is awsome.

arsen_36

Originally Posted by ricks280
get a harpoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(rick)
cat maybe? :thinking:
:scared:

fishgeek01

i use a number 20 fly fishing hook with the barb filed off, bait it with a peice of mysis, when you see the hook you will know why one peice of mysis, drop a tiny amount of food in the water, just enough to get the fish interested (chumming if you will) then drop that bad boy in there and poof, I caught 2 damsels in 46 seconds in my 75, didn't have to move rocks, didn't hurt the fish, easy as that. Now, on a more seriuos note, trade the little guy in, don';t just flush him because he is a damsel, yes they are a dime a dozen, and mean little things, but don't flush...

stanlalee

I just take the damn rocks out and use the opportunity to reaquascape. saves alot of fustration knowing its going to be a pain in the azz from the start.

marine

damsels are vorcacious eaters so i just use that against them. I wait till its feeding time so they have an appetite. I remove the top and leave push the lights to the edge of the tank. Then i turn off all my media and use FLAKES since they will stay at the top. use a large net w/ a lot of surface area. one hand holds the handle and the other hand holds the other end of the net so when you dunk it in the tank, there'll be less friction. Wait for the fish to start feeding at the surface. Wait....wait......wait..a lil more.....then swooosh! works everytime!the only fish i have a problem w/ doing that with is my yellow tang. he's geting big and i wanna move it to my larger tank, but damn i swear that fish knows. As soon as he sees the net he's very nervous. I'd use a hook, but' i'm afraid other fish would bite before he does.

arsen_36

Originally Posted by marine
I'd use a hook, but' i'm afraid other fish would bite before he does.
yeah thats what im worried about too. but the "fishing method" does sound like it would be the easiest way to get him out :thinking: seeing as how he goes crazy for any food i drop in the tank. i just dont want my clowns to get it before he does. oh and im not realy going to flush him
..... maybe i could feed him to my lfs's 8" lion :scared:

fishgeek01

The thing about the hook is that it doesn't really hurt them unless you rip it out, or pull to hard to get them out and you rip the lips of the fish... Even if another fish bites on it, it will either get off itself since there is no barb, or it is easy to get them off with out hurting them... as long as you have filed off the barb which on those little hooks isn't hard to do