What more can I put in a FOWLR tank?

I have a 30 Gal FOWLR with:
  • 1 Coral Beauty
  • 1 Clown
  • 1 Dottyback (very mean only bothers Damsel though)
  • 1 Damsel
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1 Emerald Crab
    10 Hermies
    25 lbs Live Rock
    10 lbs Live Sand
    Rapids Pro Ps3
    Heater
    Standard 50/50 20w Fluorescent bulb
Test every other day with 0's across the board and 1.024 specific gravity, been running for about 2 months now.
How many fish can I add until I start running into issues? I really want to get another Clown... Also, do you have any recommendations as far as plants or something to liven the tank up? Just having live rock seems kind of boring but I don't want to purchase new lighting at this point for corals.
Appreciate the help!

prime311

You shouldn't get another clown unless it can be a mate to your current clown. Otherwise they will probably fight and one will kill the other. You could add a small bottom dweller, like a small lawnmower blenny. I really don't think you can get that much more in a 30 though.

lion_crazz

I probably would not put anything else in there. It seems like you have a nice system going, and so many times, people try to "fit" that one last fish and it disrupts everything.

That is what I thought, but with being new I thought I could also be missing something.
I will be content with what I have. The damsel is looking very rough after being constantly harassed by the biocolor.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2776768
Also, do you have any recommendations as far as plants or something to liven the tank up? Just having live rock seems kind of boring but I don't want to purchase new lighting at this point for corals.
Appreciate the help!
Definitely thinking along those lines. You could easily do some Macroalgae. Stop by that topic for a better idea. What lighting do you have? You could do some (red, purple) mushrooms, even with just regular flurosencent tube lighting, and maybe even some Xenia, given your strong bioload.

rotarymagic

ditch the damsel, get another clown and introduce with the lights off so the dottyback doesn't attack it. Some neon gobies, a rainford's or hector's goby would be cool given they really don't affect bioload, but are cool nonetheless. Some dragon's breath or other cool macroalgae would look cool too, do you have a full tank shot by the way? What kind of light are you using? There are lots of ways to "pimp your tank" without adding lots of fish.

hlcroghan

Yep I would get out that damsel. They will likely not let any other fish in the tank.Even the clown may get territorial with that size tank. Some sort of sand sifter sounds like a good idea. Keep your substrate nice and clean with less work from you. :)

Thanks guys, I got rid of the Damsel so I have 3 fish in there now.
I currently have a 25w 50/50 fluorescent, the hood only has room for 1 bulb.
What do you recommend as far as macro algae for that type of setup?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by fade2black011
http:///forum/post/2780009
Thanks guys, I got rid of the Damsel so I have 3 fish in there now.
I currently have a 25w 50/50 fluorescent, the hood only has room for 1 bulb.
What do you recommend as far as macro algae for that type of setup?
get a new light like a teklight or other individually reflected T5ho fixture in a 2 or 4 bulb config. Good light and not alot of heat. You need way more light than 25watts lol...

coral keeper

Add some more LR. I'm sure you can try one mushroom and put it up on top. If its doing fine after a while, add some xenia and some more shrooms, but put them up on the very top.

saka bra

id get more rock. To me it looks like you bought dry rock, cant tell for shure. whem you pick out you live rock, I try to get the ones with the most color and algae growth.

aquaguy24

more live rock wouldn't hurt but make sure its fully cured before adding..and maybe something non photosynthetic like a sun coral..but u'll need to direct feed it tho....

rslinger

keep the maco out of the display you will have it everywhere. Some more rock and give it some time when the rock starts to get color it will look a lot better. take it easy and slow, don't push your tank.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2780407
Add some more LR. I'm sure you can try one mushroom and put it up on top. If its doing fine after a while, add some xenia and some more shrooms, but put them up on the very top.
xenia is a plague waiting to happen...dragons breath doesn't grow fast, it won't overgrow a tank it just looks cool.