What Next

grubby1091

OK guys, my Rock that I bought on ---- came in today after 6 days spent with UPS on a truck or lost in a distribution center. I have opened the box and the saltwater soaked paper towels that it was wrapped in are now dry. The rock is covered wilth what looks like a white and pinkish colored mold. The guy I bought it from sent me some bottles of Purpleup, Coralite and a box of Green Marine Algae. Whats my next step......do i scub the rocks before putting them in my tank (tank has nothing in it but sand and its not live sand). If I scrub them do i dry scrub them or use RO water or a RO salt mixture? When do I make water changes? When do I add these chemicals? When can I add a cleaner crew? When can I add fish and featherduster and stuff? :thinking:

ray28576

Originally Posted by grubby1091
OK guys, my Rock that I bought on ---- came in today after 6 days spent with UPS on a truck or lost in a distribution center. I have opened the box and the saltwater soaked paper towels that it was wrapped in are now dry. The rock is covered wilth what looks like a white and pinkish colored mold. The guy I bought it from sent me some bottles of Purpleup, Coralite and a box of Green Marine Algae. Whats my next step......do i scub the rocks before putting them in my tank (tank has nothing in it but sand and its not live sand). If I scrub them do i dry scrub them or use RO water or a RO salt mixture? When do I make water changes? When do I add these chemicals? When can I add a cleaner crew? When can I add fish and featherduster and stuff? :thinking:
Has your tank gone through its cycle yet. If not, then I would use the rock to do the cycle. Just put them in as is. If you have went through your cycle, then you need to get a tub with salt water and cure the LR first before you put it in your tank. I would not scrub the rock either way.
Hope this helps.

ophiura

OK, first rule is patience.....PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!

You are a long way from several of your questions, which need a lot more reseach. Definitely look into cycling a tank and the need for water testing. IMO, you do not need those additives at this time.
I agree that if your tank is not cycled, just use the rock as it is.
But there is a lesson to be learned here from where you bought it. If you invested a lot of money in that rock, and it took 6 days to get there, you were ripped off. All rock purchased online will require some recuring...but 6 days is a LOOONG time and you lost a lot - certainly the majority IMO - of the beneficial life in the rock. Reputable sources ship overnight. Still die off, still needs recuring, but nowhere near that bad.

grubby1091

Thanks guys....The rock was bought off ---- and the brown truck shipper was suppose to have shipped in 2 days but lost the package.