what now?

php

i have a 55 gal. with over 30lbs of LR and 44 lbs of LS i have 12 blue legged hermits and 4 turbo snails i have a sailfin tang clown goby,sleeper goby,spotted mandarin,1 clarkii clown,1 percula clown, spotted blennie,leopard wrasse,blue damsel,pj cardinal,flame cardinal. what inverts or fish should i get now?

col

I reckon you are past the limit for fish already.
Shrimp make good additions as long as none of your exisiting fish like to eat them.

col

My tank:
42G
1 percula clown
1 Four spot wrasse
1 YT Blue Damsel
2 cleaner shrimp
Feather duster
Turbo snails

col

Plenty of time for more fish, slowly slowly catchy monkey.
If you went by some peoples "general rule" of 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons I may be overstocked :D

vibe

where did people ever get taht rule from? i dont get it. in real reefs theres a million and one different species of fish swiming in the same area at one time. i think have a bit to many fish adds realism and sort of a constant movement to the tank. tahts my opinion though. :cool:

col

I think that in the sea they have the choice to move on if things get a bit hairy. Mainly it's down to fitration issues (I think).

vibe

do fish have filters in the ocean? no i dont think so. what are you refering to? the tank or the sea? and if the fish has the choice to move on in the ocean, he has the chance to move on in the tank. the more live rock, the better. :D

vibe

go with an invert. get a camel or peppermint shrimp. if u really want something spectacular, get a blood red shrimp. if not an invert, maybe an angel of some sort? or a nice piece of coral.:cool:

kris

I never much liked the general rule thing 1inch/ 5gs as I don't think it's real practical. Let your current fish and your water quality be your guide as to whether or not you should continue adding. I agree that the more rock you have the more homes you can provide the smaller fish, but you also lose the open swimmming the larger ones need. If everyone in your tank has a place to call home and no one is fighting and everyone is getting plenty to eat, and your water quality is still high-then sure what the heck add another (pygmy angel maybe, but I would rather see you get an invert of somesort that won't add to much to your already heavy load)
No your tank doesn't work quite like the sea itself and therefore should not be stocked or treated like it. (IMO)

fshhub

I believe the one inche per five gallons is a good rule of thumb, to use in newer tanks. But, this is merely a guide to start with, but one inche per 3 gallons is more realistic, once things get going, in many tanks. 1 inch per 2 gallns, really never should be exceeded(and this is in an established tank, where the biofilter can handle the load..The real indicator though is, water quality. However, if the tank is young, then it is hard to go by. This is why we have to set limits ourselves.
Your tank, is nothing like the ocean, which can handle the bioload much better. It's filters actually have much less inches per gallon. maybe one inch per 50,000,000 gallons is more like it.
Alos, swim area is another reason. On the reefs, there is room to swim about, even though they are schooled. The whole school moves, but they are able to move.

entice59

Originally posted by pHp
i have a 55 gal. with over 30lbs of LR and 44 lbs of LS i have 12 blue legged hermits and 4 turbo snails i have a sailfin tang clown goby,sleeper goby,spotted mandarin,1 clarkii clown,1 percula clown, spotted blennie,leopard wrasse,blue damsel,pj cardinal,flame cardinal. what inverts or fish should i get now?

You have 11 fish in your 55 gallon, in my opinion, i would give some back to the local fishstore. I couldnt imagine that many fish cramped in my 55 gallon. I dont think you can mix clownfish either. Give some of your fish back the local fish store for some credit towards some more live rock and i would recommend a cleaner shrimp as an invert to get for your tank.

killa

I agree with Juggernaut and entice59
Your tank is overstocked and you should take some back, inparticular the mandarin. I don't think it will make it with only 30 lbs of LR.
Go with some inverts.