What on earth has happened to me??

elfdoctors

They may all be correct. I am only human so I recognize that anything I believe may be wrong. I am still going to try to be the best person I can be. A lot of so-called moral values were not addressed by Jesus. However, your quote was (and this thread seems to be primarily Christian in focus). Whenever I see that good people can have an honest disagreement over the issues, I assume that either side can be correct. I am sorry if you found my statement judgmental. A loving God would not condemn people because of a mistaken belief. The bible is one path for people trying to improve the way they live.
Before we get off the thread on some theological argument, I would suggest that people continue to post suggestions to Rye. He now believes that his version of the truth will help people. We should allow him to continue his own spiritual development. My post primarily recommended to avoid biblical literalism (and to maintain the separation of church and state).

ryebread

If anyone's interested - We're thinking about buying a commune together so that we can really grow as a group. You've just got to try this new Kool-Aid we've been perfecting.....Deee-lish! We just really like to show how God helps us through any tough situation....like the other day when we were dancing with some Spitting Cobras and some Diamondback Rattlesnakes - I was just having a good old time when all of the sudden this guy spilled some of his Cyanide on my shoes.....oh man, I really wanted to just beat him into an unrecognizable state but then something came over me. I forgave him and now we share a bunk bed at our cult....err......small group house. :D

T

tizzo

Rye, do you have another web sight yet?? T.o.B. is not up anymore...:notsure:

woodymdt

Rye Bread?
I'd be interested in what you would set up as your church covenant?
How would you teach salvation?
What would your message be?
One thing I read earlier, about Jesus throwing away the 10 Commandments. I know a lot of people that carry that thought, but Jesus himself said that he wasn't "to destroy the law" but that through Him the law would be fulfilled.
So there are very different "theologies" that abound even in the same sects of "christianity".
The church that my wife and I are members at believe that the bible is the infallible word of God, that it's more than just a book of tales or myths or parables that one can take what they wish and throw the rest away.
I admire your desire to plant a church home for people that need the salvation that God has for them.
I take it that you are a minister?

ryebread

Originally posted by woodymdt
I take it that you are a minister?

Aren't all of the Brothers and Sisters ministers?
As far as the teaching goes.....we understand the Bible to be God's Word. We will always teach from it. The only thing that we observe that might be somewhat different than tradition is this: Everything in the Bible is True - Not everything True is in the Bible.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by RyeBread
Everything in the Bible is True - Not everything True is in the Bible.

Awesome!! Couldn't think of a better way to put that!!
I always tell people that since "cats" aren't in the bible, does that mean they don't exist? But I like your version better.

kmg

Hey Ryan....
Always had a feeling that you would land in something like this.
I miss your old www ste. I used to go there frequently...but I do appreciate the CSL messages from time to time. He's one of my favorite writers, and he hit the nail on the head when he said, "We don't need more Christian writers, we need more writers who are Christians". Perfect. Applies everywhere in life. :)
Sounds like you guys have a great idea...I AM that I AM...is all that I can say...narrow is the way.
Kevin
P.S. Advice from this 38 year-old pastor: If you ever need to pull weeds around your building...wear a shirt!

wrassecal

Ryan - do a google on Willow Creek. It's huge now but, when they started out they asked themselves some of the same questions you are asking. Here is their link http://www.willowcreek.org/wheaton.asp I'm unsure if there is any information on the beginnings but, I studied it in a class I had last semester.
By the way, I haven't been getting any Clive emails lately. I miss them.
Love ya,
Debi

wrassecal

Originally posted by KMG

P.S. Advice from this 38 year-old pastor: If you ever need to pull weeds around your building...wear a shirt!

Hi Kevin
Seems you are missing your emails too.

squidd

Originally posted by RyeBread
Aren't all of the Brothers and Sisters ministers?
As far as the teaching goes.....we understand the Bible to be God's Word. We will always teach from it. The only thing that we observe that might be somewhat different than tradition is this: Everything in the Bible is True - Not everything True is in the Bible.

Commissioned by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit, We're all called to ad-"Minister" the word, but have different "gifts" to do so...
Couple things, I offer..
The Word is Truth...Teach the Word...not "from" the Word...
It's all about "relationship" not religion...
If you want to minister to 6000 souls AND be close to the Lord...open a Soup Kitchen in the inner city...feed their body and their soul...
Peace...

K

kimc

Just keep on prayin... God will give you the answer... He always does!! :happy:

wrassecal

In case some of you guys don't understand what planting a church means, here is a brief overview of the beginnings of Willow Creek founded by Bill Hybels. Ryan, has your group studied any of Bill Hybels philosophies on how to "plant a church"? For all I know he coined the term. I found it fascinating. They have so many different ministries now and are huge but, the beginnings are what I find the most interesting.
HYBELS’ UNSCRIPTURAL METHODOLOGY -- "Bill Hybels is the senior pastor (out of a total of approximately 48 staff pastors) of the 12,000-plus member, Willow Creek Community Church located in Northwest-suburban Chicago. When Hybels decided to plant a church, rather than ‘set-up shop’ and faithfully preach the Word of God, he instead took survey teams through the community, asking those people who admitted to being unsaved, why they didn’t regularly attend a church. According to Hybels, the survey revealed that people: ‘(1) didn’t like being bugged for money; (2) found church boring, predictable, and routine; (3) didn’t think that the church was relevant to their lives; and (4) always left church feeling guilty (the Christian message was too negative with ‘sin,’ etc.).’
"Hybels’ solution was to ‘program our Sunday morning service to non-believers, and program our service to believers on another day or evening.’ By this means, Hybels hoped the newcomers would ‘feel welcome, unthreatened, and entertained.’ Hybels states that it is absolutely essential that the ‘unchurched Harry’s and Mary’s’ be introduced to a ‘creative, introductory level, positive, Bible-centered church experience on a Sunday morning ... a place designed for [the unbeliever].’ Hybels states that his people ‘have put a lot of time and thought into what non-churched people want from a Sunday morning service. And we have concluded that they basically want four things: (1) anonymity; (2) truth presented at an introductory level; (3) time to ‘make a decision;’ and (4) excellence in programming, creativity, humor, contemporary [worship], relevancy, etc.
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/hybels.htm

ryebread

Originally posted by Squidd
It's all about "relationship" not religion...

True dat. I saw a t-shirt that I wanted to get ahold of the other day. It said, "Religion Kills".

ryebread

Debi -
Si Senorita....I have been reading my little eyeballs off. A book that I found to be very inlightening is called "The Emerging Church" by Dan Kimball. Good stuff. Bill Hybels is the man! Have you read "Too Busy not to Pray"? Good read there.

wrassecal

Hi Ryan
No I haven't. I actually studied Willow Creek as part of a entreprenurial class....I think we analyzed 1,000 cases through Harvard Business school...anyway I got really interested in Bill Hybels from studying the beginnings and growth of Willow Creek, so I've read everything I can find that he has written that is on the web both from the business standpoint and the spiritual standpoint. Love the Harry's and Mary's :D I'm one of them, an unchurched believer.

maeistero

sounds like a "christian community" that occurs sometimes out here in kansas. you think you've finally met the greatest, sweetest girl on gods great earth...... and she's addicted to reading the same book, over and over again.
i've read that book, about 5000 times (in catholic school), and it really does say the same thing every time. it helps combat schitzophrenia when parents give their children other books. it seems more punishment to make them read the bible after they've memorized it 5 yrs prior.
these "christian communities" that've popped up everywhere as an alternative to mormon "ism" seem like non-smoking, non-drinking, bars that go on when most people are still a little sleepy on sunday mornings. (a place for people that suck at getting dates anywhere else) i can't say they're bad, but i will never go to a place that hates me for habits and says: "it's all good in god's eyes, repent to me and you'll go to heaven just like us real people". i will repent to myself the next morning, if you were lucky enough you would've repented also and got off.
if catholicism(sp?) is heaven, then please send me to hell! until then, i will remain myself. just a person who doesn't believe in ritual suicide through early sunday mornings.
religion is not my cake. why not do volunteer work, or something to help kids? seems to beat scaring the hell out of them with ridiculous bible stories.l
i do believe in god, but i talk to him on my own time, and my god doesn't make me kneel or bow my head. my god is just someone i talk to that doesn't require a temple or anything, just a person inside my head that i talk to rarely. if i had to speak to someone inside my head everytime i screwed up, i would probably need help. SO I DEAL WITH IT.
btw, congrats on the police work. i may be not be a religious person, but i do like enforcement of some laws. oh, and your post here did seem to become a religious war. (i'm not making battle, to each his/her own, just saying that religion is not a light subject for grown people) i refuse to reply to this thread, i'm done ranting