WHAT"S HAPPENING TO MY RED SCARLET HERMITS?

i am here

I RECENTLY ADDED MY CLEANING CREW TO MY NEW 12 Gallon. THEY CONSISTED OF THE FOLLOWING:
5 dwarf blue leg hermits
5 Red scarlet hermits
4 orange banded hermits
10 small astrea snails
5 nassarius snails
2 small queen conchs
1 small coral banded shrimp
1 emerald crab
After being in the tank about 1 1/2 days, 4 of my 5 Scarlet Red Hermits are MIA. Only the Red Scarlet Hermits. Being a new tank, everything has been constantly busy and not bothering each other at all. But I noticed this morning that there were litlle pieces of red down in the sandbed?? I have been watching the emerald crab especially but he keeps to himself and is constantly eating. Also I am starting to find tons of little tubes all over the sand bed. Is this just poop? Gotta ask!

dale-fish

Your red scarlet hermits are probably molting... I have about 4 red scarlet hermits in my 20 gallon tank and when I first put them in they all molted. Its common for them to molt when first introduced to a new tank.
Oh and about not seeing them... sometimes I dont see mine for 3 or 4 days,
hope that helps!
I am not sure if a 12 gallon is big enough for an emerald crap tho... maybe someone else can answer.

jamie814

I wouldn’t doubt it if the blue leg hermits are attacking the scarlets did you find the empty shells?? The molts do look very simular to the actual crabe as well but will not have the meaty back part of the crab on it. I don't recommend anything but scarlets because blue legs, red legs, zebras all have been known to attack snails and other crabs just for the sport of it. Scarlet reefs crabs are the most docile and peaceful. Electric orange and electric blue carbs are very peaceful as well.
I would not of put 2 queen conches in there eiather a 12 gallon is to small even for one they feed mostly on diatom algea and that small of a tank is not going to produce enough for them.

pontius

if it's actual red pieces, it's not molting, it's murder. it is not the emerald crab and I highly doubt that it is the blueleg hermits.
I would say possibly the cbs, though I doubt it.
more likely is that one or both of the conches are not actually conches, but welks. welks are highly predatory on crabs and snails. I once bought a welk thinking that it was a conch, and in 2 days, it killed 3 large scarlet hermits and 3 or 4 snails.
do you have a picture of the conches?