What salt do you use?

helpme74

Thanks for all your help !!
One more question does anyone have mixing directions for Tropic-Marin Pro Reef . I didn't see it on the 5 gallon bucket .
How many cups per gallon of water?

kssalah

I've been using instant ocean, Ive never had any problems with it, all though i have thought about trying something new.... But I just don't want to end disappointed considering I'm not having problems now.

maryg

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/2856017
I use Instant Ocean. I have no issues with PH fluctuation, which I have heard can happen with some salt. It is relatively inexpensive, which the way I do water changes so often, is a huge plus. Some folks have said they spend almost a hundred dollars per 50 gal bag/bucket. I can't see it, but as I stated elsewhere today, alot of people feel the need to spend the most to get what they feel is quality.
1+

subielover

Originally Posted by helpme74
http:///forum/post/2863672
Thanks for all your help !!
One more question does anyone have mixing directions for Tropic-Marin Pro Reef . I didn't see it on the 5 gallon bucket .
How many cups per gallon of water?
Just like normal salt. About a half of a cup per gallon. Then adjust it to your tank's specific gravity.

ameno

I used to use reef crystals but always had trouble keeping my calcium levels up were they needed to be so I've switched to coralife. Based on a study that was done last year on different salts coralife had the best numbers overall. And so far has done great for my tank.

helpme74

Salinity 1.025
Calcium 400
PH 8.4
KH 8.3
Alk 2.97
MG 1,360

What does eveyone have to say about the salt readings?

helpme74

OK i have put about 25 gallons of Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt water in my tank and i have noticed
that the brown stuff on the glass quit growing now and my water is clear very nice !!

wilsonreef

I have used Tropic Marin Reef Pro for years, yes it's expensive, but the added trace elements seem to do pretty good. I too had thought about going to Reef Crystals but probably won't change from the Tropic Marin...

snakeblitz33

None of the above - I use Tropic Marin Reef Pro. And yes, it is expensive, but very, very, very well worth it.

snakeblitz33

Oh, in any case, don't switch from a natural sea salt to a synthetic sea salt (too quickly) or else you can nuke your tank. Be very careful when starting a new tank and keep using the same salt throughout it's life. JMO.

monalisa

When I started out in the hobby, I used Instant Ocean...but when I decided to go with a reef I switched to Oceanic salt...my little 37gal (at the time) really needed the calcium boost. I stuck with it in my 46gal, and it's been great for me.
Lisa