What salt mix is the best?

I was at the LFS the other day and I asked about the different mixes. I noticed that 200 gallons of coralife was 26.99 and 150 gallons of reef crystals was 59.99. They said that the Reef Crystals had trace elements in it. Are the trace elements that are in this stuff really worth the extra money? Or am I going to have to add stuff anyways and be better off with the Coralife. Ive been buying the Coralife for a while and love the free shirt I get with every bucket. Ha. Anyways this is something Ive been meaning to post.

reb

Not sure on the answer, but a heck of a good price on the coralife. Around here the cheapest you can find coralife at a lfs is $39.99 for 150 gal.

fshhub

IMO, either
Instant Ocean
or
Reef Ctystals, if you need the extra trace elements for corals. However it is a package deal, so getting the whole packeage may or may NOT be neccesary or even a good thing.

T

thomas712

I have tried maybe 5 different salt mixes now. I have enjoyed the best success in the past with Instant Ocean. However Brian I will give you the best advice that I can. When you mix up a batch of salt mix for the first time, and every time after that you open up a new bag, box or bucket, watch the salt mix and test the very first batch from that first opened mix. Test for alkalinity and calcium. If you salt mix is cloudy even 24 hours later then I would not trust it.
Saltmixes are like a box of chocholates, you never know what your going to get.
Thomas

garycarr

I use SeaChem salt and it seems to hold the trace elements longer for me than when I was using Reef Crystals.

I read a study done some where about how the government was looking for the best sea salt subsuite and they said that there really was no difference with reef cystals and instant ocean. That the trace minerals were just that a very small trace.
Sarah:)