what salt to use...

catawaba

I've always used Coralife, so I don't have anything to compare it to in terms of coral health/growth. Sorry.

tx reef

Originally Posted by Rykna
I guess I was looking for something that had more buffers added to it so i wouldn't have to keep pouring money into bottled buffers, but I do like coralife. I have never had an problems with it....and after reading the levels in oceanic...yikes! I was also wondering if anyone had noticed any difference in coral growth and health related to the salt they used.

The growth of my SPS basically stopped when I started using Oceanic. It was impossible for me to keep the alkalinity up with the extremely high calcium this salt had.

fishcake

I just tried the oceanic salt yesterday with salifert test kit's and my Calcium was off the charts!!! I believe it is probably around 700 like you said.

rykna

Thanks for all the info
I think I will stick with Coralife. I started out 2 years ago using instant ocean, but switched ASAP to Coralife-mainly because it mixes much better. I haven't had any compaints from my tank tenants....

Are there any negatives to having your calcium off the scale at 700? For basic reef tanks that is.... :thinking:

tx reef

The problem with having high calcium is it drives your alkalinity down.
How quickly or well a salt mixes is of no concern to me. Any salt I have ever used will completely dissolve over night. I mix my water in a large trash can and it usally stays in there for 3 or 4 days with a powerhead and heater before I do a water change.
If you are letting your mixed water sit at least 24 hours with a powerhead going, you will not have any problems with the salt dissolving. If you are mixing it up and doing a water change 5 min. later, most salt mixes will not be completely dissolved. You should always give mixed water at least 24 hours before putting it in your tank.

fishy7

Hi Rykna,
I use Marine Environment Salt for the following reasons:
1) I do not add any chemicals between water changes
2) The mixture is exact everytime.
3) Does not make the water clowdy.
Try this salt, you will not be sorry.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by TX Reef
The problem with having high calcium is it drives your alkalinity down.
How quickly or well a salt mixes is of no concern to me. Any salt I have ever used will completely dissolve over night. I mix my water in a large trash can and it usally stays in there for 3 or 4 days with a powerhead and heater before I do a water change.
If you are letting your mixed water sit at least 24 hours with a powerhead going, you will not have any problems with the salt dissolving. If you are mixing it up and doing a water change 5 min. later, most salt mixes will not be completely dissolved. You should always give mixed water at least 24 hours before putting it in your tank.

exactly