What saltwater fish are captive bred besides clownfish

diane4

I am curious, what saltwater fish are have been captive bred with success?
I kow clownfish can and are captive bred.
What else is?
I aks because my hubby thinks that our dog face puffer must have been captive bred because he is so sweet and acts "domesticated". And, we also have a very tiny panther grouper "maybe about 2 inches". Also, my hubby thinks that they were bred, how can someone catch such a small young fish?
Before anyone gets worried, yes - I know the grouper will get big. We have 8 fish tanks now (5 fresh/3 salt) totaling water volume of appx 650 gallons. We will further expand when we move someday. For now, all of our fish are in tanks with more than ample space.
Now, getting back to the question in the thread - what fish are captive bred besides clowns? I think sea horses can also be bred.
Thanks

xdave

All of the above (except the puffer) and Chromis Damsels. It's also predicted that within 3 years or so, Coral Beauties and Flame angels will also be bred in captivity. There's also a class called "tank raised fish" where either eggs or larval fish are collected in the wild and raised in tanks.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by diane4
So, just to clarify - dog face puffers, GF puffers and panther groupers are not captive bred?
nope, also sharks r captive bred (epaulette, cat and a few others)

windmill

If it doesn't specifically say "tank raised" or "captive bred" it likely isn't. These are major selling points for fish and a "domesticated" fish is much more desirable than one from the wild (for the most part).

fatcats

What about the lemon peel and flame angles
I hope we can get to a place in the hobby where all fish are captive breed but hopfully that isnt wishful thinking

fishygurl

ya I know that would be sooo cool! Then we as in the divers that collect our fish/corals/inverts/etc. won't be distroying the reefs! I don't know too much about Live Rock(I just have it in my tank) But would their be a way to be able to "grow" i guess Live Rock? Or do they still have to take it off the reef or have a permit and throw in rock into the ocean and years later come back and sell it.
It would be so cool to be able to just breed marine fish/corals/etc.
I know there is someplace in the world that people are fragging corals and putting them back into the ocean and they have to be so many inches from anyone else's frag.

xdave

They already do grow live rock. It's called aquacultured. Heres some from the gulf of Mexico. This is after 30 days in a tank, this pacticular grade called "premium coraline" is currently $2.99/LB

fishygurl

OMG that would be a dream come true! Or an inground indoor swimming pool with dolphins in it(maybe the dolphins would be a little smaller and the pool would be alot bigger)
Hopefully who ever started this thread is not getting mad at us for getting somewhat off subject.