what shoud I test for?

greebs

I've had a hair algae problem ongoing for about three months now. My 55 gal tank is about 15 months old now. Never had any hair algae until about three months ago and now cannot get rid of it. I use RO water that I buy from the grocery store and do 10 % changes every month. I've taken out the live rock three times now and scrubbed them but every time it grows back. I've got a lawnmower blenny but I've yet to see it eat any algae. I've also tried phosphate sponges and I purchased a skimmer about a month ago. But yet I still have the hair algae. I've got only four fish total in the tank and have double 65 watt vho lamps that I purchased about 6 months ago. I feed small amounts of food every two to three days so don't think I'm overfeeding.
Other than perhaps getting my own RO unit to make sure the filters get changed regularly does anyone have any suggestions? My lfs will test my water but other than testing for phosphates, I'm not sure what else to even test for.

jarvis

Test for phospate and nitrate. Just a guess about hair algea is that mine seams to form where the lowest areas of ciculation. It then gets mowed down by snails. How new is the tank?

lesleybird

Hi,
Did you say that you only feed your fish every two or three days? They really need to be fed at least once or even twice a day. Maybe some hermit crabs would clear up your algae problem. Just remember to give them some extra shells as they grow. Lesley

The only thing that seemed to work for my hair algae was emrald crabs.
They loved the stuff.
I have also heard that lettuce nudibranchs eat hair algae also.
My lawnmower blennie would not touch the stuff, he would wait for me to feed him.
Adam

greebs

tank is about 15 months old. I've got three emeralds and purchased 30 hermits a couple months ago but don't think too many of them are alive any more. I should also add that I bought some shaving brush plants from this site in hopes they would absorb the phosphates but haven't noticed a difference. I might have to try some nudi's again. I bought some from this site a couple months ago. Unfortunately, they all died within three days. (I had to have them delivered without receipt so couldn't get them replaced.)
I'm just stumped since up until about 4-5 months ago I had absolutely zero hair algae and since them it's nearly out of control. And I just can't point to anything that would have caused it.
Lesleybird, I really think you need to do some research on feeding fish. From what I've read and heard, you are way wrong on your feeding twice a day opinion.