what should i do next?

pensky

In my 29 gal tank I have: 3 months old
Yellow tang
2 clown fish
Chocolate chip star fish
Pink tip anemone
10 pounds of live rock
I don't have any type of cleaning crew, what do you suggest?
I would like to start working on my lighting and eventually start keeping coral what should my next purchase be and what suggestion do you have?

dragonfli

here are some good options.
2 cleaner shrimp
pencil anemone
10 hermits
10 snails
im having a hard time picturing a 29g. got any pics?
no coral yet right? hold off until your tank gets more mature.
how big is that tang? i would trade him for a fish that does better in small tanks. he will out grow your tank.....tomorrow. they are cute but need more"running room." you dont want him gettin stressed and stressin out your other guys because he needs to strech his legs.

lexus9903

Your next purchase should be your lighting so that you don't loose the anemone. Suplpment feedings to the anemone would help out as well. They particularly like mysis shrimp. Just thaw frozen shrimp in water from the tank, suck some up in a syringe and squirt it in the tentacles.
You need to decide what kinda corals and such that you want as your lighting needs will be determined by that. 29 gallon tanks are relativly deep so you need to be sure to get a light with soem good penetration. Also when placing the corals, plan accordingly to the different levels for light intensity.
Also, ifyou plan on converting to a reef tank, chochalte ship stars are not reef safe and will munch your corals.
Lexi

kdfrosty

2 things not to skimp on: lighting and protein skimmer.
Learn from my mistakes.
1)Don't buy Jebo product.
2)Buy lighting with legs and/or fans
3)Spend $$ on a good skimmer. Dont buy a decent one, and then buy a better one.
For a cleanup crew I would get
-2 Mexican Turbo Snails
-15 hermits (Scarlets preferably)
-3 bumblebee snails
-3 nassarius snails
-about 20lbs. more live rock.

pensky

thanks alot I will look into a new skimmer and more rock.
I plan to order a cleaning crew next week and this is a great list.

ophiura

Your chocolate chip star is predatory and poses a risk to snails and your anemone to start. At the very least it should be kept fed, but this may not keep it from eating something else.
I agree with everyone on the lighting for the anemone. While condylactus don't need, IMO, as intense lighting as others, they still need much more than basic. The tank is quite young for an anemone. But do keep it well fed. You can try something even more meatier than mysis, such as pieces of thawed shrimp, squid and silversides.
Your water quality will be critical with keeping anemones.
Also, as mentioned, while your tank is small it may be OK for a few months in that size tank. But realistically, it is in no way a suitable fish for a 29g tank, and you should seriously consider trading it in for something that does not need more space. More than a few people would hesitate with a yellow tang in something like a 55g (a 4' tank)....so the 29g is well short of that. Even a 30g (a 3' tank) would be marginally better.

pensky

I feed both the star fish and the anemone frozen shrimp and feed the with a turkey baster at least 3 times a week and have not seen any sings of problem yet.
Yes I reqret the tang but the LFS has a tank set up and as soon as it is done cycling I will trade it to him.
for the anemone is there any type of blub I can to help him and still use the current hood set up that i have with only room for one bulb?