What should I do with my new tank?

pedroky

OK, I bought a (used) 20gal tank w/stand, pump, and 10gal sump on a whim from one of the employees at the only local SW fish store. On his reccomendation, I got 2 bags of live sand, a bag of instant ocean salt, a 25W Visi-therm heater, a hydrometer, and the cheapest hood/light combo they had. I took it all home, poured the sand in the tank, and mixed the salt with tap water 2 gallons at a time and poured it in the sump until it was half full, then I filled the tank until it was full, plugged in the filter and heater and left it alone for 5 days.
Then I made sure the salt level was OK, and I went back to the store and got 2 domino damsels, one fake plant, and a medium sized barnacle thingee for the fish to hide in. That was Saturday and everything seems fine. The water is actually a little clearer than before I put the fish in it.
I found this site 3 days ago and have already learned a lot. I don't have a computer at home but, I have a lot of free time at work. I now know the basic reasons that I had to start with damsels and am totally comfortable waiting for my tank to cycle. I intend to wait 3 more weeks, take the damsels back to the store, get them to check my water, and then order from this site.
I am a total beginner and I would like any suggestions or comments you guys might have on what to get for the tank. I am thinking a pair of clowns, 2 emerald crabs, some snails, a shrimp or 2, some hermits, and maybe a puffer. What can I do with no LR and my cheapo light? What do you think? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

bwets_angel

Sounds pretty good so far but I would replace the fake plant and rock with live rock if possible. And about the puffer, most people on here don't recommend a puffer for a tank that small.

foxthorn

You may see a quite a bit of algae as a result of using tap water. Since you're looking at less than 30 gallons you could simply go to Wallmart or some other grocery store and buy purified water from one of their machines. Look to see that the water was purified by Reverser Osmosis -- look for "RO" on the label.
HTH

I

ivanfj

Honestly I used tap water as well and I have no problem with FOWLR tank and I have some hardy fish, but I would still suggest you to go get the RO water from walmart just like other people have said. I am just too lazy to go get the RO water but I guess my skimmer does help out alot in this situation. You may need get a skimmer if necessary. A powerhead would help too.
At the dental office I used to go to, they have no LR as well but their clowns just love the fake plant. The clowns always hang around there. I don't know if fake plants would effect the water but I would wait and see if the new fish likes it or not. BTW, a pair of firefish would be nice too. They are awesome to watch.
HTH

pedroky

First, Thanks for all the replies!
What I'm wondering is if my light is good enough for LR. I checked it last night and it is a 19W, looks like a regular flourescent bulb to me. Is this sufficient$
(sorry, my question mark key just quit working!)
I'm ashamed to say it, but I still don't know what a powerhead is. My filtration system is homeade, and this is how it works. The water drains out of a 2" hole in the right side top of the tank, then it goes into a tupperware thingee with a filter in it and numerous holes in the bottom. This is in the top of a trash can that is in the sump. It goes from the tupperware filter into the bottom of the trash can which is full of porous rocks. Then it goes out the holes in the bottom of the trash can and fills up the sump. The pump that pushes it back into the top left side of the tank is POWERFUL! I'm not sure what the specs are, but the guy that sold it to me said it was a Rio. Sorry for the rambling--my question is, is this sufficient filtration$

michaeltx

Live rock doesnt need lights if this is going to be fish only then you dont have to worry about. when you get into corals thats when you need the powerful lights.
powerheads are pumps that go (usually in the water) that just pushes water around in the tank, there are a lot of different makers of the pumps some are better than others.
it sounds like a Do It Yourself filter setup just watch and make sure you dont have any leaks at the connections. I dont have a lot of knowledge of sumps and refugiums so maybe someone else can elborate on that.
as far as Rio pumps all that I have heard that would be one of the first things that I would get rid of. do a search for RIO and you will find alot of people have had major problems with those pumps.
HTH
Mike

pedroky

Thanks for the replies!
I ordered the 20-25lb box of LR from this website. I think that will solve a lot.
About my lighting though...I talked to someone at a different lfs, and she said that if I put a 50/50 in my hood, I shouldn't have any problem keeping what I want ( 2 percs, several crabs, a couple of shrimp, and some anemone). What do y'all think?
And about the powerhead--don't I need an under-substrate filter for one of those?

jcsurfn

That is cool that you order LR. I would take the fish out that you have in there now and put the LR in. The LR that you got will be out of the water for a few days so it then will cause a cycle. It will probably actually cycle you tank better than the fish you have in there. Also it is a reall pain to get those fish out of there once you have put LR in. They are fast. So I would get them out now. I had to take all my LR out to get those guys out. So the LR will do a good job of cycling your tank.

Just my .02,
I wouldn't encourage you to keep invertebrates in the same tank with a puffer - they will quickly become a tasty snack for it.
Regarding the powerhead--no, you don't need an UGF (undergravel filter) for one (though they are used a lot with UGF's). It helps with providing water circulation. Just make sure you put the guard on the powerhead so that unsuspecting fish, anenomes, etc - will not be sucked up. I know this from experience. :(
How much wattage will the 50/50 produce? Anenomes need strong lighting to survive. Around 4-5watts per gallon would be sufficient.
If you don't have one already, get a test kit. The basics that you'll need to test: PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. It is vital to monitor these levels and it will also let you know when your cycle is complete.
Not sure how much LS you got but a 3-4" sand bed will also help with your biological filtration. Also, a higher wattage heater may also be helpful (for your tank maybe a 50w).
Just my thoughts.

pedroky

I'm totally ditching the puffer idea for this, my first, SW tank. After reading more about them, and with the above helpful suggestions, I decided it was definitely a bad idea. My girlfriend thinks that their big eyes are "SOOOOO CUTE!" Any suggestions on a third fish (planning on a pair of clowns) for my tank?
I ordered the 20-25lb box of LR from this site, so I'll be covered there. I intend to order my cleanup crew from this site when I have plenty of good algae growth on everything. How long do y'all think that will take?
I think that all I have left to get will be a 50/50, and maybe a second one in another strip light, and a test kit, and I guess a powerhead. Any suggestions on where I might get all of these things from the same site?

stig

A valentini puffer would be fine in your tank when it's established. I have one in a 15G and it's definitely my favorite fish.
I'm curious about what you read to make you decide against one.

pedroky

Honestly, Stig I didn't know there were different kinds of puffers. I have only seen porcupine puffers, and my 20gal is not enough for them to be happy.
Tell me about yours! Will it eat inverts$ What does it look like$ Do you have a pic, or a link to one on the net$ and, where can I get one!

stig

Apparently they love to nibble on invertebrates - just found that out in "The conscientious marine aquarist" by Robert Fenner. A must if you don't already have it.
It's white with dark brown stripes and light brown spots. Sorry, I'm not too good at descriptions. The book I just mentioned has a picture.
Since I'm in Japan then I'm not really in a position to suggest where you can buy one.
Sorry, I didn't really help much at all, did I?
Mine's a really chilled out fish, though.
Stig.