what should my turn over rate be?

grubsnaek

i have a 125DT. i have no corals rite now. my coral wish list looks some thing like this.
Xenias
Leathers
Zoos
Hammers
Torchs
Mushrooms
basically softies and LPS.
my lighting is 760w of VHO under reflectors.rite now i have 2600gph (20.8X). i think this my be toooooo strong for my stocking list.
what should my turn over rate be?????????????

mtennant

what should my turn over rate be?
Well I say 1250GPH should be ok... (10X) :notsure:
Ummm I'm not sure I have a 180 gallon and i'm doing the turn over rate at 10X.. :notsure:

reefforbrains

10 would be the MIN, Just me but I usually go heavy with curent, use a spray bar if you have to so theres not jet streams, but I would push for 20 or close to it personally.

earlybird

I'm looking at the same corals on a 29g and I'm aiming at 26x with my mag drive 7 and two maxi jet 600s.

frankthetank

I think 26x is too much for LPS and softies, especially in a 29g. I go with about 15-17x. I would say 20x would be the max. I'm with reef4brains, I would say 10x is the bare minimum... shoot for at least 15x.

earlybird

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I think 26x is too much for LPS and softies, especially in a 29g. I go with about 15-17x. I would say 20x would be the max. I'm with reef4brains, I would say 10x is the bare minimum... shoot for at least 15x.
I've done a lot of reading on here and want to keep my water quality as pristine as possible. I think I'll be okay with 26x depending on placement of corals and powerheads. I really want to eliminate all dead spots. I do have some spare mj 400s just in case.
There are people on here that have lps, sps, and softies with way more than 26x turnover and they do well. It's all about placement.

frankthetank

Don't know much about spraybars. I would think you would need higher flow for sps, but I wouldn't go that high on lps and softies. Just me though.

grubsnaek

i have (4) 600gph powerheads with lock lines. each power head has two lock lines. so its not just massive flow they are directed nicely.but theoreticaly each return pushes 300gph.

earlybird

Take all your pumps, powerheads, filters etc that have a gallon/hour rating. Add them up and divide by your tank size.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by jhuggins
Really stupit question.
How do you figure turn over rate?
Don't worry... at one time I thought you got pregnant by kissing.
Of course, I was 4 years old though.
just teasing with you.

grubsnaek

hahahahahhaha that sh*t was funny though. do you add the stuff in the sump too. cause if so then i did under calculate.

grubsnaek

i have a 125 gallon. so the flow seems pretty good. the rest of my equipment is overrated. so with having the LPS and the softies with the length of the tank i thought i would be good with my turnover rate.

grubsnaek

should i take a power head or two out of the tank. i dont want it to be to strong. i currently have them facing the top of the water and some pointed across the tank. with the tank being 6 feet long i thought i would be ok with this setup.