What size chiller?

rabid frog

Well I ran into an odd problem today. I live in an apartment and apparently my neighbors think its cold out. My 75 tank temp actually got up to 89 today. This is in Feb in New Mexico. Not exactly warm outside and I dont have my heater on in the house. I have never had to run a chiller before I keep my system around 82-84 degrees. But I guess it may be time to look into a chiller.
I am running 2- 250 watt mh's and 2 96 watt vhos. The canopy has 1 fan pulling the heat from the lights. The lights are about 8-9" off the water. Could I just run a external fan to cool the tank down? Obviuosly that would be a cheaper option.
thanks in advance, Joey

rabid frog

do you think a chiller is the best choice? Or could i get by wtih a fan cooling the system down? I dont want to have to fork out 400-500 bucks for a chiller if i can do it with a 29.00 fan.

acrylic51

I would try the fans first......Chiller would be my last resort......do you have fans in your canopy? You could also add a fan or 2 blowing down across your sump as well.

rabid frog

I have 1 fan in the canopy. I checked my heaters as well. I found one set to 89.... I think my shrimp have been messing with it... lol j/k I dunno how it got turned that high honestly, but maybe that will help with the heat issues a little.
I am going to buy a couple of fans an try that also to get it cooled down a bit. Hopefully that works as I am trying to save for a calcium reator and that would just push it back that much further.