What size power heads to use???

krazy302

I have now had my FO tank up and running for about 2 weeks now. I have two damsels in there to cycle the tank everything is going good so far. I have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 404 canister filter, seaclone protein skimmer, about 60 lbs of argonate gravel, and a couple of fake corals that the wife bought. I am wanting to add two power heads to help circulate the water. Any suggetions as to what kind I should use, what size I should use, and proper placement of them when I get them???? Sometime in the future I will be adding live rock and a cleaning crew but I figure right now the tank is not established enough yet to get either... Any suggestions would be appreciated.. THANKS

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Krazy302
I have now had my FO tank up and running for about 2 weeks now. I have two damsels in there to cycle the tank everything is going good so far. I have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 404 canister filter, seaclone protein skimmer, about 60 lbs of argonate gravel, and a couple of fake corals that the wife bought. I am wanting to add two power heads to help circulate the water. Any suggetions as to what kind I should use, what size I should use, and proper placement of them when I get them???? Sometime in the future I will be adding live rock and a cleaning crew but I figure right now the tank is not established enough yet to get either... Any suggestions would be appreciated.. THANKS

Take back the damsels and cycle with raw shrimp instead. Your tank is not established enough for fish either.For a fish only I would only go with about 10x for water movement. You have a 75 gal tank so do about 750 gal per hour. This flow rate should include the GPH for your existing filter and skimmer.
As far as placement of the powerheads I would put them at opposite ends of the tank pointing towards each other. I would also have one pointed a little towards the top of the tank top create a ripple effect on the surface of the tank to help with oxygination of the tank water.
Adding live rock is not something your tank needs to be established for. In my opinion it is better to go ahead and add all the LR you can afford when you first set up your tank. The curing of the LR will start the cycle of your tank.
Don't add a clean up crew until your tank has fully cycled.

hawkmoon

Does your recommendation of 10 times go for a 24g tank as well?
My filter does 200gph but creates little water movement in the bottom half of the tank (it's the type that hangs of the back of the tank). I have had the tank for 2 years with 4 small fish and live rock. Never had a problem with the fish but the couple of pieces of coral I tried early on died. I figured it was a lack of water movement.
Cheers!

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
My filter does 200gph but creates little water movement in the bottom half of the tank (it's the type that hangs of the back of the tank). I have had the tank for 2 years with 4 small fish and live rock. Never had a problem with the fish but the couple of pieces of coral I tried early on died. I figured it was a lack of water movement.
Cheers!
Corals need proper lighting, cacium levels, temp., water movement, food, etc... to thrive and survive. You should always research the requirements for the coral you wish to have. Start off with easier corals at first like shrooms, zoos, polyps.
As for the water flow FO tanks do not need a high level of water movement. Too many gph's and your fish will only become knocked around the tank. Since your filter already produces 200 gph I would just add one of these instead (pictured below). You have one jet near the top of yopur tank to create surface movement and the other jet at a lower level in your tank to help with movement near the bottom.

jcazz10

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
Cheers!
A liitle of the subject...how did you get the dolphin embelm on your name...biggest fishfan in ohio here!!!!
named my daughter Danielle Marina....after you know who!!!!

hawkmoon

Originally Posted by jcazz10
A liitle of the subject...how did you get the dolphin embelm on your name...biggest fishfan in ohio here!!!!
named my daughter Danielle Marina....after you know who!!!!
I got the picture by doing a Google image search on Miami Dolphins. Once you have the pic you want, resize it and add it as an avatar on on your user profile.
I think I might be the only Dolphins fan in Australia. It seems that way sometimes. My wife would have killed me if I tried to name any of my kids after Marino but the thought crossed my mind. If Culpepper is half as good as Marino the 'Phins should contend this year.

jsgreer1

Originally Posted by dmjordan
As for the water flow FO tanks do not need a high level of water movement. Too many gph's and your fish will only become knocked around the tank. Since your filter already produces 200 gph I would just add one of these instead (pictured below). You have one jet near the top of yopur tank to create surface movement and the other jet at a lower level in your tank to help with movement near the bottom.
this is not true. imo ppl have fish in reef tanks and they dont get knocked around so why would they in a FO tank. i have a FO tank and i have about 17X flow and my fish are never "knocked around"