what size sump?

flipper263

I am upgrading to a 180 gal in the very near future and will be adding a sump and a fuge. I have a 120 gallon now without a sump or fuge. The fuge will be above the tank so it will be gravity fed to the display and the sump will go under the tank ( i think ).
My question is...what size fuge should I have...I was thinking 30 gal (can I go smaller or should I not?) and what is the size sump should I have? Would using my 120 be excessive? I was hoping to sell it or trade it for a 55 and some livestock or something.
Brenda

golfish

Brenda,
I'm not s big fuge fan but a 30 gal fuge will be just fine...there's no way you can have too much sump, the 120 would be perfict. Bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to sumps and fuges.
FWIW, I run a 40 gal sump and 30 gal fuge (deep sand bed only) on my 120..

thangbom

man i wish i had a extra 120 gal tank to use as a sump/fuge.... i say bigger is better.... like my first and only display aquarium is a 155 bf... love it to death.. Alll i kjno wis that my next tank will be way bigger...(hoping 250+ with minimal of 55 sump/fuge..) and yes im crazy!!!!:jumping: :jumping:
:jumping: :jumping:

flipper263

Thanks for the replies. I guess since space isn't really an issue, I will try to keep the 120 as a sump and I will look into getting a 30 or so gal fuge.
Brenda

flipper263

We were thinking about that but isn't it better to have a fuge that is gravity fed back into your tank. Then none of your pods and whatever else happens in your sump will get sucked up through a pump and have a better survival rate.
If I have my fuge in my sump, does it need to be divided so the fuge is separated from the rest of the sump?:help:
This is so complicated sometimes...if I wasn't so addicted I wouldn't even try this.:)
Brenda