what spawned in my aquarium

krazekajin

I just saw the coolest thing. I saw something spawning in my 29reef. There were periodic clouds of smoke looking stuff pumping out of my live rock. i could not see any animal.
What could it have been.

miamishrip

interesting - i noticed the same thing in my tank yesterday and was just about to start a thread! i look forward to an answer.

sfoister

Let's start with what you have. I've seen anemones spawn like that, and other soft corals. We never kept any hard corals so I don't know if they spawn the same way.

bang guy

There are tons of things it could be. The most common are Stomatella Snails, Fireworms, Spaghetti Worms, Feather Dusters, Astrea Snails and Turbin Snails.

otfurball

what exactly did it look like? white? I have seen that come from my snails in the past. maybe you have a hitch hiker in your live rock. hitchhikers on live rock that turn into something are awesome.

krazekajin

I am leaning towards a snail of somesort because it came out of my rock. the rock has zoos on it but it did not come from the zoos. I know that I have a lot of stomatella snails and on the rock are some small featherdusters.
Thanks for the input. This is the reason I love SW tanks. Everyday, I find something new.

miamishrip

so lets say this happens (whiteish puff of 'smoke') and it comes from rock that is unviewable from outside the tank - the best we could do is just wait and hope its a good specimen?

tbrew85

Originally Posted by miamishrip
so lets say this happens (whiteish puff of 'smoke') and it comes from rock that is unviewable from outside the tank - the best we could do is just wait and hope its a good specimen?
I have a similar situation. The “puff of smoke” is coming from the back side of a rock and I can’t see the source. What I can see though is something that looks like small spider web like strands that are being pulled toward the source. Sand is stuck to these strands and falls off into a small pile again near the source. This seems like a continual process. Here are a couple of pics. I guess I could just move the rocks and look but if I can get an answer here I won’t.

bang guy

Originally Posted by tbrew85
I guess I could just move the rocks and look but if I can get an answer here I won’t.
Vermetid Snail.

krazekajin

vermetid snails are beneficial. I don't like them because thier spider webs get on my corals and looks ugly.
I finally saw a stomella snail spawing in the open. I noticed one and then one next to it began to spawn as well.