What supplaments should i use on my tank

jess

I have about 7 corals and 3 fish. With over 100lbs of live rock. As of now I use Cal, Iodine, Coral Vite (just started using it) and PH buffer. I would really like that nice pinkish purple algae growing. THANKS

adrian

Look into kalkwasser, other than Ca and bicarbonates, there isnt much need for additives, feeding quality foods and frequent water changes will provide all the needed trace elements. Many hobbyists use iodine as well, but whether or not its needed is highly debated. HTH

jess

this is how I add my CAL on the advice of someone who has been in the hobby for many years and take care of reef tanks. And I wanted to know if I could add KALK the same way.
I take a 16oz (236ml) bottle and fill it with water. Then I add 1 cap full (5ml) of Turbo Cal. I shake it and drip it into my tank. It takes my about a week to use all the contins in the bottle. Can I add KALK the same way?

nm reef

Yup Jess...a drip system is good for adding kalk...
I use 3 1 gal containers to drip additives......for the kalk I add 1 teaspoon of kalk to a gal of ro/di.....I mix it and let it settle for a few hours then in the evening I start a slow drip(1 per 5-10 seconds)...this drips over night ... then next day I start over again....the other 2 drips are used for seachem reef builder & reef advantage.......

burnnspy

Turbo Calc should be used as a booster, Kalk should be used to maintain Calc with the added benefit Kalc will help a skimmer remove phosphates.
BurnNSpy

salth2o

you need to add the other varieties of coreline to your tank. They will not automatically grow. The sea chem buffers will acelerate their growth AFTER you have them introduced to your tank. Try atinics 'blue moon' a couple hours before or after your 'normal lighting' hours. This has also acelerated growth as well.