What Tang should i buy?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2475998
See, that is the point I try to get across to people.
If a fish, which should grow too large for your tank, isn't growing too large for your tank, I can't see how it is "doing great".
Something is wrong. Why is the fish not growing like it should?
Although I agree with this entirely ( I think); there have been several articles written about fish releasing a hormone that will will stunt growth when the hormone reaches a certain level. There are way too many variables; but, here's a (slightly) similar situation. The Country is full of small ponds and lakes that contain huge populations of stunted panfish. These fish look, act, reproduce, and even taste, exactly like the bigger varieties in bigger lakes. Science knows that something triggers the small size. So, if a fish has color, appetite, fins are well spread, no sign of disease, etc; is it healthy, even though stunted? I don't know. A yellow tang is one of the hardiest fish there is; but if it meets all the previous criteria, is it not healthy? Again, I just don't know. I do know, having kept many tangs (some in 4' tanks) that they just behave and appear much more "natural" in a bigger tank. I don't give advice; just share opinions and experience; but, the debate on this topic really points to the bigger tank.

am00re34

Thats a great site. So can you potentially get one of all 6 families (well only 5 since one family gets to large) and not worry about fighting?

m0nk

Originally Posted by Am00re34
http:///forum/post/2477546
Thats a great site. So can you potentially get one of all 6 families (well only 5 since one family gets to large) and not worry about fighting?
Technically, yes, though you do need to worry about space and grazing ability.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2477058
this is a valid point, and the great tank size debate seems to always be over tangs. However most captive fish fail to reach their maximum wild size in captivity. Naso's do get 18" in the wild yet I have never seen one over 14" in person, even the bullet proof panther grouper will is not likely to grow to 3 feet in a home aquarium.
I think you're right AND wrong here. The reason that we generally don't see full size specimens in aquariums is not become of some natural limitation or evolution in the growth process. Actually the reason is far simpler than that... most hobbyists do not keep fish alive long enough for them to reach their full growth potential. A wise person once told me that aquarium fish do not die of old age. Virtually every fish will die based on some condition, error or deficiency in its habitat. The lack of full grown aquarium fish is certainly not indicative of our ability to keep a healthy fish for its entire life.
As to the rest of the argument, both sides have a decent point or two. First, a tang can be perfectly healthy in a smaller aquarium... temporarily. A smaller yellow or kole can certainly live in a 55 gallon tank for a while with no problems. However, these tanks are insufficient if you have any hopes of keeping these fish long term. There is a big difference between going to the lfs and asking if this tang can live in your 55 gallon tank now or if it can live in your tank for the next 15 years.
Sadly, even most of the very experienced hobbyists have failed to keep specimens for 20+ years. Keeping fish captive is really doing a disservice to the animal, however people generally do their best to minimize the poor conditions under which the fish are kept. For this reason, to suggest that any of us has any "happy" fish is pretty ridiculous. Just my $.02.

slycoolman

I agree completely. Though would like to point out that there are a few species (mostly FW) that do die of old age, but most do not. I would also like to point out that 99% of fish in the wild do not die of old age either. But the basic point remains.