What Tang to add first?

alison

Hi,
I have a 120 gal reef and only have a pair of true perks and a bangaii cardinal. I want to add my mom's blue tang that has outgrown her tank and has been in a ick free environment for years. I also want to add a yellow tang.
Question: What do I add first due to tang agression and ick? Also Blue tangs are a lot more sensative to change.
I was told the blue first then yellow tang because yellow's are more agressive is this true?
Thanks in advance,
Alison :help:

hot883

Is that a 4 ft or 5 ft tank? How much live rock do you have? I would add the blue first then the yellow 2 weeks later. But only to a 6ft tank or bigger.

alison

Hi,
It is a 4 ft. tank. Why do you say only a 6' tank? It is the same water weather it is 4' or 6'. There is lots of live rock for him to hide in and swim through. On other sites they have also said add the blue first so I'll do that then. It is a small to medium blue if that helps.
Thanks for your replie.
Alison

stanlalee

well for fish longer is better. with things that grow up like corals and seahorses many prefer tall. I still think the tank is big enough for a hippo and a yellow so as long as they arent large specimens. even if you had a 6ft 125 a full size hippo would be cramped.
definately add the hippo first. at best they will shadow box for a little while. Yellows are a bit nastier to new additions.

dragonzim

Most people will tell you that for the long term health of a tang that it should be in a 6 foot or longer tank. Its not the water volume as much as it is open swimming space. Tangs are open water swimmers and need to have relatively long, straight distances that they can swim back and forth it.
Trust me, I recently had to trade in a Hippo and a Yellow tang that were in my 75 because it wasn't big enough. The size problem was with the length of the tank, not the height or width.